John Deere 457 baler

Help Support CattleToday:

BoumaticWonders

Reaction score
Hello everyone just registered, and a dairyfarmer from maine. We purcahsed a 457 silage special baler 3 years ago and it has been a good baler for us. We only do about 300 round bales a year about half we put into baleage. We have been running it with a 4wd 5420 john deere tractor (65pto hp), and was wondering if we could run it with a bigger tractor later on if we wanted to. The manual says a good hp is 55-65 put i dont see why you couldnt run it with a larger tractor. I would like to buy like a 4020 JD or a 986 IH later and just run the round baler with it? Anyone running it with one like this? Thanks for all your time.

instead of starting a new topic I suppose I will just ask another question right in here. The other day I was baling with it, and about every 10 bales I would bale one with like this "ball" in the centers of the bales. I couldnt figure out what would make this do this, and I guess you cannot wrap bales like that because they capture in too much air. Any ideas what would be causing these "balls" of grass blowing out in the centeres of the bales? Thanks for your help.

BoumaticWonders":1mxjme0h said:
instead of starting a new topic I suppose I will just ask another question right in here. The other day I was baling with it, and about every 10 bales I would bale one with like this "ball" in the centers of the bales. I couldnt figure out what would make this do this, and I guess you cannot wrap bales like that because they capture in too much air. Any ideas what would be causing these "balls" of grass blowing out in the centeres of the bales? Thanks for your help.
Are you saying it is rounded? With the middle being taller than the sides?

no they are pretty uniform in shape, but the middle of the bale like the height side of the bale has like a 12" glob that is almost like blown out of the middle.

Maybe the hay has twisted clumps in it? do you notice a correlation between the way the hay is feeding into the baler and the "balls". Sometimes I'll "fold" the end of a row back into itself when raking. This tends to twist/wrap the the hay making the baler grab a "lump" instead of feeding evenly. Also happens when I have a thicker than the rest area. Take this with a grain of salt cause I'm still not sure where your ball is at :oops:

Here a quick pic I hope it works. The red area is where it was blown out. Keep in mind these bales were started halfway thorugh a windrow so the end of the windrow I wouldnt think had anything to do with it.

The read area looked like a ball that was sticking out futher than the ends of the bale.
roundbale.jpg

The red area is there just really small.

Are your belts too loose? Maybe they are just a little loose and the bigger the bale gets they tighten up? Is that even possible? Sorry - not much help.

Hello Bou

I am thinking that your issue is one of two things. Either your not getting enough hay to the outside of the bales, or your soft core settings are not high enough.

If you have narrow windrows, you have to weave very quickly from side to side to get the edges packed tight.

You might check your owners manual and verify your soft core settings are at a high enough pressure on your variable bale chamber.

This is what the edges of your bales should look like and the picture you posted looks kinda loose.

Good luck
Dub

457silage.jpg

oh well sorry to cause confusion but the picture of the round bale is just one I got online. I just wanted to be able to explain more indepth.

Hey glover do you have variable core on your 457? Because I dont think we do since when you press the variable core button on the monitor, it doesnt do anyhting.

Anyone know for not having to weave should my windrow be the full width 66" of the pickup or like 4'? It seems like the 4' actually works better.

I have the same problem ocassionally with my 456. I think it is caused by not getting enough hay to each side of the roll when starting the roll. I find that a 4' windrow works best for not weaving. Am wondering if your tensioning valve may be bad or set wrong. The ends of the rolls should be nice and smooth.

He is talking about the core of the bale. Sometimes it sticks out past the edge of the bale.

I have the same baler. Mine does the same thing everyonce in awhile.My older JD did the same thing.

well i guess im not the only one then. I really need to know how to fix this because those bales are trapping too much air into the ends ruining the bales after we wrap them.

hey johndeerefarmer how wide do you make your windrows? If you have the megawide pickup are you making them from flare to flare or how wide? Also, you must have the baletrak pro monitor I would assume. I only get like maximum 5 or 6 bars on each side on the monitor. If I make them dead even on the red zone, then the bales come out the same heights on both sides. The manual says they should be way up to the tops of the green. I never get bars up there. Any explanations? Thanks.

I usually only get one or 2 bales that look like that (everytime that I bale).

I do have the same monitor as you. Mine will start out in the red, then as I fill the chamber the bars will even out and rise to the top. They stay near the top for the rest of the bale.

According to the manual, check these things;

1. Make sure that your tractor hydraulic selector lever is in neutral.

2. Defective density guage (I guess they mean in the Bale Trak Plus monitor, which isn't very likely.

3. Defective bale density valve cartridge - this would be part of the valve box mounted on the front of your baler with all of the hoses going to it.

In my manual on page 67-35 it has a procedure to adjust the bale shape bar display. If you have had this problem every since you got the baler, this may be the problem. If this problem appeared lately then I would suspect a problem with the bale density valve (which I cant find anything on it in the owners manual).

Hope this helps..

Latest posts