John Deere 4020

Help Support CattleToday:

daniel.carver

Reaction score
Hi All :wave:
I bought a 1964 John Deere 4020, serial# T113RO74277R. My Question is, What model J.D. Loader fits this tractor. It has a loader on it. But The John Deere Dealer dose not know what model the loader is. The loader has two 6 inch pipes between the loader arms, and then the end where the bucket attaches. I need a bucket, but the dealer says that all loaders widths for this tractor are not the same. A salesman came out to look at it. He seemed to ike it, and then he started his sales pitch on a new tractor. I told him I was'nt interested in a new tractor, due to the cost. Well, it seems they don't deal in old tractors. The loader has the numbers 2827 that are there when it was made (cast). I've tried to research this on line. Evidently I'm not a good researcher :compute: :bang: . So any help would be appreciated.
If any of you have any extra rain or snow, send i my way, S.W. MO.
Dan

I had a similar problem a few months back. I couldn't find a bucket to fit an odd width tractor so I had to do something different. I bought a piece of plate with skid steer latch buckets on it and welded places for my pins to go. Used skid steer and universal attachments stuff is a lot easier to find. I bought another used bucket off of craigslist for $150 last week. Plus, it's nice to be able to use other attachments. Hope this helps.
Gary

a picture would help. Most loaders have a standard mount width (distance between pins), or quick attach. The bucket width is up to you, as for your needs.
Unless it is completely homemade, most aftermarket buckets or quick tach plates will fit any loader.

A JD 148 or 158 work great on the 4020s. The newer JD 240 fits them also.

Depending on your needs of usage, many of the shortline loaders work well.

If its a JD loader that came on the tractor it would be a 148 or 158. Either would use 5',6',7' or 8' buckets. You should be able to measure pin locations on the loader and find a bucket to fit.

I bought a "blank" bucket (An Allied brand with no mounts on it), made my own mounts to fit my Massey loader and welded them on. Much cheaper than buying a Massey branded bucket.

Could be a JD 46/48. If it has 2 hydraulic cylinders on the bucket tilt it could be a 146/148/158. If it has 1 it could be 46/48/58.

It could possibly be the newer 720 or 725 loader. Around here the guys go to the local welding shop to get buckets. He sells them for a lot less than deere and they are a lot better built.

Latest posts