Jersey Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

coaklnic000

Reaction score
Hi I have a Pregnant Jersey heifer. She is due on February 7th. She is showing discharge. I'm just wondering if she could possibly be getting ready to calve ?

My Jersey heifers had an udder about to explode and a vulva so swollen that it looked like a calf head stuck out there and then they went another week. Beef never got that full an udder before calving

First time heifers can show discharge for several weeks off and on before calving. I wouldn't worry about it. Just watch her and keep track. When her behavior changes, won't come in. goes off by herself, lays down and gets up, anything way out of her normal actions, then it is time to keep a real close eye on her. Feb 7th is still over 3 weeks away. A heifer will often go a little early, not always. But 2 weeks early would be more likely. Just keep your eye on her. They can fool you. How tight is her udder? Leaking any milk?

if its a jersey heifer you have nothing to worry about, youll never ever see a jersey have calving problems. but if your seeing swelling and discharge shes getting close. that might mean tonight or 3 weeks from now....

Can I ask if a angus x jersey is likely to have no calving problems....she has jersey looking hips and rear.....

You would think by the look of them that they would have all the issues.....😀

farmerjan said:
First time heifers can show discharge for several weeks off and on before calving. I wouldn't worry about it. Just watch her and keep track. When her behavior changes, won't come in. goes off by herself, lays down and gets up, anything way out of her normal actions, then it is time to keep a real close eye on her. Feb 7th is still over 3 weeks away. A heifer will often go a little early, not always. But 2 weeks early would be more likely. Just keep your eye on her. They can fool you. How tight is her udder? Leaking any milk?
Thank y'all for all these responses. She has been licking a ton at her belly and Mooing a lot especially when lying down

Ahhh, the joys of calving heifers! She's close, no doubt, but she could go another week or two before calving. I watched one for 3 weeks one time before she finally calved unassisted while I was at work. She had been swelled up and bag was tighter than a banjo string for a week or more before she calved. It's all on HER time unfortunately. Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about discharge. If the discharge has a brown color or tint, I would consider that normal. Usually that is just the cervix plug discharging from the cervix expanding. If it has a bloody tint, I would keep a close eye on her and hope the calf is full term and healthy.

my little rat terrier dog does that often, but can't say that I see my cows do that very often. Keep us updated when see has her calf. good luck

Jerseys are the queens of calving. After a calf or two they could birth a semi. My jerseys which are smaller had 77 and 81 pound 1/2 beef shorthorn heifers first calving. Spit them out. Got right up and started cleaning them. Calves were nursing in 30 minutes.

I am one that does not push my heifers. We don't get quite the growth that some do, and I just like them to have a little more age. I try to calve heifers at 27-30 months. I can't tell you their weight, but they just have to look big enough to me and it seems that they are in the 27-30 month when the calf hits the ground. I also like it because they are just a little more settled and do a better job of letting me graft a calf or 2 on them along with their own. Or to milk, they seem to produce a decent amount. Sure it is genetics too, but I just like that age. I have less problem with breeding back if they are that little bit older. I use either a jersey, guernsey, or an easy calving angus on the heifers.
I try to calve my heifers in the spring. Right now have a group of beef heifers that got bred for fall calving this year, and they aren't doing as good as the spring calvers do. They are going to get supplemented with some silage along. But again, they were barely 24-25 months when they calved. This group got bred sooner than we usually do, just turned out they looked good, and where they were we put the bull in. They don't seem to have the milk that I would like them to have but they are getting protein tubs since with this ankle I can't get around as fast and they will push me around. If any don't breed back, they will get held over, but for now they are now with a bull for fall calving next year too.

Latest posts