Jersey Heifer Project

Help Support CattleToday:

I love it when a plan comes together guys!!

Those one n dones seem to always turn into just one more calf outta her.... just one more... lol
She looks like a pretty ol cow @Shoestring

They don't usually get old by not doing their job! If they don't do their job, they never make it to old age!

Gosh I sure love those british white cows. Sure wish I could make it pencil to have a whole her of em! Hope it works out for ya @Hpacres440p

Opal is hanging out with my recently acquired bull calf that I steered at the sale barn. Love that I can use the chute after the sale and work anything I buy. I'm not sure if she's settling him down any or if he's making her crazy. I havnt worked with her much past couple weeks. I need to get a couple pics and post em up.

How about a crummy picture in the dark?
The steer just got off her. I believe she may be cycling....
Too early for that. Good thing she's seperate and my bull goes to breed elsewhere in a couple weeks.
20211204_180604.jpg

I moved those 2 chuckleheads to my lil acre project spot. Loaded the steer(if his nutz will EVER fall off)
He's made Opal a bit crazy. I liked to NEVER got a hold of her halter. Running around like an idiot. I wanted to smack her over the head with a shovel! 🤣
Shes just not an in your pocket type girl. She will lead. Once you get her caught.
It's the "catching" that's the trick! Usually feed is easy enough. But she had already eaten.
Anyways!
Happy pasture pals!
20211205_125246.jpg

Have her pelvic measured. The heifers I just retained are a solid 735+ at 7-8 months but I want to make sure they'll be able to (theoretically) have at least a 75 lb. calf unassisted at 24 months. What are Big Sexy's EPD's?
Somewhere I THINK I have epds on his sire and dam.
I am not in the hereford association. He was never tested or whatever they do.

BUT, and it's a small but, I have 1 heifer that was bred to him with no issues. She calved all by her onesy.. it was a heifer. Would feel better about it if it had been a bull.

I really should check in to AI work around here. I got a lead on ONE person that a friend knows that does it. I hear they are pretty good at it.
So many options. One one hand, I'd like to AI her and Mabel to sexed jersey semen for a heifer. But at the same time, a good calving ease angus would make a more sellable calf.

Trying to get info on some a.i. work in northern central Oklahoma.

I figure these 2 jerseys will be ready in about March!
Possibly the shorthorn too. But I'll probly just put her with the bull.
Any info, feel free to pass it along

Any dairy farmers close to you? Most all do their own breeding.... if you can get one to come breed your cows, then ask for and pay them to get some semen put in their tank on the next nitrogen fill.... or find out what company they get semen from... You can try looking up Genex semen company... or..... Select Sire Power...... I think they just merged with another semen company but you ought to be able to get info... Ask at the feed store if anyone does AI in the area.... I do some on the side.....and I do have a tank....so you might be able to find someone that has a small herd but does their own.

Latest posts