Jersey cow due to calve in Dec...I'm new to this!

Help Support CattleToday:

supermom723

Reaction score
I have a 850lb Jersey family milk cow, 4 years old, and vet preg checked her last week and said she's 4 months. I had hoped she was bred, and I called the farmer I got her from and he said 90% chance she was bred by a Jersey bull.
That said, I'm new to livestock. I know Jerseys are easy calvers, and this will be her 3rd, and my neighbors on both sides run cattle, so I have help if I need it. My vet will surely he available too. But I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as far as.what to have on hand. She's extremely gentle, and her stall is about 10x12, and is 50 feet from the house. It'll be December in Missouri, so it could be 65 degrees or 25 degrees, but I just want to be prepared! I've read about pulling calves, cows going down, and I don't know how to prepare!
Thanks...we are so excited, but I don't want anything to go wrong!
Nikki

Just relax and let her do her thing. When the time comes she will probably be just fine. If there appeared to be a problem just call a neighbor or your vet. Nothing to do or worry about for a few months yet. Congrats on he cow.

Isomade":fivdvcj1 said:
Just relax and let her do her thing. When the time comes she will probably be just fine. If there appeared to be a problem just call a neighbor or your vet. Nothing to do or worry about for a few months yet. Congrats on he cow.
Bingo, best answer possible at this point in time!

Jerseys are extremely easy calvers and are also extremely resiliant as compared to other dairy breeds. They are, however, metabolic trainwrecks if the nutrition isn't right. I'd put out some mineral for the last trimester to make sure she gets everything she needs and then forget about the calving part. Once she calves get her full of dry matter so she doesn't produce more milk than her body can afford to give.

cow pollinater":1uzz5p4p said:
Jerseys are extremely easy calvers and are also extremely resiliant as compared to other dairy breeds. They are, however, metabolic trainwrecks if the nutrition isn't right. I'd put out some mineral for the last trimester to make sure she gets everything she needs and then forget about the calving part. Once she calves get her full of dry matter so she doesn't produce more milk than her body can afford to give.

Hay drops milk production? Does this mean they milk less in the winter on hay?
Valerie

Depends. Low quality feeds will always limit milk production - so will low quantity regardless of quality.
Grass silage is a higher quality winter feed and cows can milk very well on it.

Regolith is correct, but I meant it as-make sure she has enough coming in the front door to suport what's happening out the udder. All good milk cows will start using up stored energy to make milk. If it gets to be an accute case it's ketosis and you'll see her walking around shaking like a coke head looking for a fix. The best cure is prevention. The more energy you can get into her the less she looses off her back and the faster she gets back into positive energy which is where good things like breeding, health, and quality milk come from.
I use the term hay because it's the easiest feed for someone new to dairy cattle to understand. Particle length makes a big differance and if we say "pump her full of grain" it could REALLY cause a trainwreck but quality hay is pretty safe. Worst case scenario with hay is less milk.

Suzie Q":31lglpel said:
She should calve okay. If you notice her trying to calve give her an hour. If she has not calved in that time she needs help.

Agreed. You'll start to notice her laying down and getting up and then sniffing the ground as though she's looking for something. I time their contractions just like humans... when it's a few minutes apart..here baby comes!! If she's pushing and no progress in that hour call vet or neighbor. Better they think your silly than lose the cow.
Valerie

Latest posts