Ivomec Plus Injectable

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
The only thing I can see that makes Ivomec Plus different from straight Ivomec, is that it contains Clorsulon 10% for the control of Liver Flukes (Fasciola hepatica ). According to what Lucky_P has stated here, this species has not been seen by him in cattle in KY. Thus, why use the plus. But there is an oddity here. At Tractor Supply in Maysville, KY - Ivomec plus is $39.99 for 50 mL. Ivomec is $42.99 for 50mL. Go figure that one out. Does anyone know why that might be?

Marketing Ron, they are trying to get people in the habit of buying it and being plus most people think it is better and once people are converted the price will drift up and the other product will slip off the market. Drug companies are very manipulative ba$tard$, I Hate them so better not start me off.
Ken

It could be getting close to the expiration date and they need to move it. But if the plus is cheaper just use it. It will still kill what you need killed and the liver flukes that you don't have will be in trouble too.

On the other hand I always use the plus. My cows are out on swampy pasture all summer. If you look up liver flukes in the vet book there is a picture of my pasture.

Good points all. I bet it has to do with marketing. Ken, you are right about customers not being aware of what the plus means. I talked a few minutes with a salesperson. He thought the Plus meant it was an improved product. But not so, both contain the same ivermectin as the main parasiticide. The Plus only helps if you need to control flukes.

Dave, you are right. I bought the Plus but I did have a second thought on the wisdom of putting Clorsulon into my cow's systems if it was not necessary.

From what I can tell Tractor supply stocks every store nationwide the same and then discounts whatever doesn't sell. I see stuff on the rare occasions that I go in to a TS store that I can only figure is there because it works in other parts of the country.

What Dave, Ken & CP said...
I'd have bought the Plus, too, at the discounted price. Name brand, so efficacy should be as anticipated for what you need it for; the clorsulon will be without a target, but so what.
In 20 years here in KY, I've seen ONE liver fluke - in a captive-bred elk. Never in cattle. Numerous conversations with my colleagues at our sister diagnostic lab in Lexington - and they don't see them either.
I know they're present in other parts of the country, but I've never seen liver flukes in cattle in over 37 years in AL, TN, MO & KY.

cow pollinater":1vghowyr said:
From what I can tell Tractor supply stocks every store nationwide the same and then discounts whatever doesn't sell. I see stuff on the rare occasions that I go in to a TS store that I can only figure is there because it works in other parts of the country.
I think your exactly right.

I did not know that the Ivomec is supposed to be given SC or SQ, depending on how you want to abbreviate it, at the back of the shoulder. I have always injected it SC in the neck region. I wonder why it makes a difference. Most BQA calls for injections in the neck region.

TexasBred":3072h4uu said:
Sub Q to slow down absorption.
Got you on that but what I was wondering is why the shoulder and not the neck. The literature inside the box shows an image of the shoulder with the points of injection either on the shoulder or just at the back edge of the shoulder. It may have said that last fall but I missed it. I gave it at the back of the shoulder just under the skin (Sub Q). I will say this, it is easier picking up some loose skin just at the back edge of the shoulder on my cows than it is on the neck.

inyati13":1luf7fr6 said:
TexasBred":1luf7fr6 said:
Got you on that but what I was wondering is why the shoulder and not the neck. The literature inside the box shows an image of the shoulder with the points of injection either on the shoulder or just at the back edge of the shoulder. It may have said that last fall but I missed it. I gave it at the back of the shoulder just under the skin (Sub Q). I will say this, it is easier picking up some loose skin just at the back edge of the shoulder on my cows than it is on the neck.

That is where we give it, and try to go low (like elbow pocket area). That way, a lump is not as obvious (for show purposes) if one forms.

inyati13":371uiu1w said:
TexasBred":371uiu1w said:
That's where I give it also. And if you don't have her in a headgate or squeeze chute there is less movement in that area so much easier to the injection. For what it's worth I've also given it under the loose skin on either side of the tail head. Now I know you probably won't find that in any book but it works too. ;-)

Latest posts