I've Had Better Starts to My Day

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Went and checked on my heifer this morning and decided to make sure chains and come along were where they were supposed to be. I got inside the barn and a really bad smell hit me. First thought was a dead rat somewhere but looking around there was a dead coyote laying in the race. Wasnt easy but I got past the smell and drug to the far side of the pasture.

TennesseeTuxedo":3e43mlsn said:
How's the heifer?

She's good, thanks. Went ahead and penned her this morning as that calf looked to be playing soccer inside there. I'll be checking on her a lot more often now.

JW IN VA":3e43mlsn said:
I'd say that was agood start but there may be more to the story.Hope the heifer and calf are okay.

Good in the sense that there's one more dead yote, but bad in the sense I almost lost my breakfast. I didn't inspect the critter, but I figure it was shot and sought refuge inside the barn. One of my farm neighbors has gone to assisted living and a couple of his grandsons are staying in his house. They are avid hunters and my brother says there's been a lot of shots fired lately.

slick4591":6la7vkma said:
TennesseeTuxedo":6la7vkma said:
How's the heifer?

She's good, thanks. Went ahead and penned her this morning as that calf looked to be playing soccer inside there. I'll be checking on her a lot more often now.

JW IN VA":6la7vkma said:
I'd say that was agood start but there may be more to the story.Hope the heifer and calf are okay.

Good in the sense that there's one more dead yote, but bad in the sense I almost lost my breakfast. I didn't inspect the critter, but I figure it was shot and sought refuge inside the barn. One of my farm neighbors has gone to assisted living and a couple of his grandsons are staying in his house. They are avid hunters and my brother says there's been a lot of shots fired lately.
Found one in similar circumstances winter before last. It was a bit haggard-looking and weather had been rough, so I at first figured it died of natural causes. Vet said we should send it to the lab for a rabies check; it was negative. (Rabies is endemic here).

I posted this picture previously but I buried him deep and right after I put him out of his misery. No telling how long he had been like that or when the last time he ate.

If you want to smell something that will gag a maggot, leave a dead beaver floating in a pond for a few days......

Latest posts