It's snowing

Help Support CattleToday:

It snowed a very light skiff this morning. I snowed about an inch last Saturday that is still with us in the shady places. Yesterday I ran the quad up to big rock just to look at tracks and see what wildlife is moving. Big rock is about 250-300 feet elevation higher than the house. There was 5 inches of snow there. The road goes straight up from there gaining about 1,500-1,700 feet elevation real quick. The forecast is a chance of snow almost every day for the next week or more.

We have about 2 inches so far and coming down in very fine flakes. No wind which is good. Roads and fields covered now. 29* at present. Supposed to snow most all day, but we will get out of it long before the southern part of the state. Got things pretty well prepared yesterday so am good if we don't lose the power. Still saying only 2-5 here, but those in southern and southwest 6-18....

We have right at 10" right now and it's still coming down. Went and checked cows and had 2 calfs born sometime from yesterday at lunch and this morning. They seem to be ok. I unroll a roll of hay so the would have somewhere to lay but it's probably covered in snow already.

pricefarm":27lu5u3t said:
We got between 12-13". Iam ready for spring. Who ever likes snow must not have to go out and work in it.

9" lol I love snow and I been working in it all day.

skyhightree1":3cotmdxr said:
pricefarm":3cotmdxr said:
We got between 12-13". Iam ready for spring. Who ever likes snow must not have to go out and work in it.

9" lol I love snow and I been working in it all day.

I am glad it missed us. It went about 80 miles south of here as it was headed your way. I suspect the Users in Virginia got a good dump.

Well..... I am ready to change jobs. I want to be a WEATHER FORECASTER.... the only job that you can consistently be wrong and still have a job and a smile on your face.
After forecasting that it would stay south of us, then upping it to 2-5, they aren't very close. We have about 8 inches and it is still snowing but HOPEFULLY will stop around midnight. It got to snowing so hard this afternoon that you couldn't see 50 ft. It stayed at 28-29 degrees all day. And did it ever keep on, keeping on.
At least all the local schools have cancelled tomorrow's classes, so VDOT will have a chance to try to get the roads cleaned off without having to deal with all that extra traffic. My son had to go in at midnight last night, it didn't start til about 6 am here, but he will work 8pm to 8am tonight and probably tomorrow night as it is supposed to warm up to 40 tomorrow then drop to 20-22 on Monday night.
I imagine Sky has it worse as he is on the edge of the "mix" and will be in snow/rain for quite a bit longer than us. Of course,,,,, that is $$$$$ signs for his business..
Snoopdog, come on down and we'll load you right up!!!!!!

pricefarm":1fplegxa said:

Yup, one good snowstorm and I am ready for spring again. Must be these tired ACHING old bones and joints . Maybe I just need to start drinking :drink: :drink: :drink:

13 " here on the south side of Bedford county. Finally stopped about 9 o'clock this evening.

[/b][/b]
farmerjan":388k8n7e said:
pricefarm":388k8n7e said:

Yup, one good snowstorm and I am ready for spring again. Must be these tired ACHING old bones and joints . Maybe I just need to start drinking :drink: :drink: :drink:
Drinking don't help. Already tried that.

pricefarm":z5ayosd1 said:
I hate it more every year. I have not had to work this storm because of a stomach bug. I am not sure which I hate worse, hugging a toilet for a day or having to work in this crap.

Well, we wound up with nearly 9 inches. 26 was the low and the sun is out and BLINDING white everywhere. Up to 48 in the sun so it will be melting off the plowed roads, but supposed to go down to the low 20's tonight so will be slick. Heading up to the pasture where I keep my nurse cows and calves, feed the calves their grain in the little barn and make sure they have some hay to eat, and feed the barn cats up there. Must've been a busy but not disasterous night, haven't heard from my son after his 8pm to 8 am shift w VDOT and I am sure he did what needed doing with any places with cows, although he had fed up extra on Sat eve, then went to bed. My dairy farm scheduled for tomorrow called and said let's just skip this month and I said okay.... they have about the same total snow as us, but it makes for a long day with the cows when you are dealing with feeding in this. Got one scheduled for Thursday morning and another for thurs eve/fri morning that does their own samples. Suits me to not have to go out in this and freeze in a barn...

Latest posts