It's gettin real bad here

Help Support CattleToday:

Our local hay guy cut a patch a few days ago and rolled it yestiddy. I'd say about 35 or 40 acres. He got FOUR 5 x 6 rolls off of it.

That's how desperate things are around here. :tiphat:

During the drought we have endured since being here we were told by all our mentors and anyone else that put there opinion in that as long as we had water we should not sell our herd.

If it is one thing this property has it is water. So we did keep the herd. They lost a hell of a lot of weight. We eeked out our round bales to keep them alive. We put some on grain in the end.

One by one people in the district lost their water. Their bores dried up. One by one they sold their entire herds.

Then when it did rain, those of ours on grass only fattened up just as quickly as those on grain and we have not fed grain since.

Since then we bought a round baler and have enough round bales that I can feed as many as I want instead of one every now and then like I did through that drought. People can't believe that we don't sell our round bales. I don't because I like being able to feed out 10 at a time whenever I wish.

It is a luxury that I covet.

It was getting bad here. Saturday we got an inch, then yesterday we got 2 inches. I know a lot of good cows are going through the barn here. Good pairs bringing 800 and less. Couldn't get a second bid. Were begging folks to take them. Small calves 300 lb and down were bringing nothing.

And to think my neighbor came over last might bragging he just paid 300.00 for a 3 month old heifer.

circlew":2gsoq26e said:
It was getting bad here. Saturday we got an inch, then yesterday we got 2 inches. I know a lot of good cows are going through the barn here. Good pairs bringing 800 and less. Couldn't get a second bid. Were begging folks to take them. Small calves 300 lb and down were bringing nothing.
You know that is wonderful news.....BUT....your problem is still the next rain. When are you going to get that one....Until they come with regularity a week or so apart you are still in trouble. With that thought, trust me and don't waste money on fertilizer because you just got a rain....it's not going to be the next rain that counts, it's the one after the next.

vett, I notice your map just keeps getting more red even though some have gotten some rain. Not a good sign for later in the year. Gonna take a lot of rain to get it back isn't it.

kenny thomas":3tsgfvgl said:
vett, I notice your map just keeps getting more red even though some have gotten some rain. Not a good sign for later in the year. Gonna take a lot of rain to get it back isn't it.

Weather man said the high that has homesteaded here is moving out. Supposed to be a tropical wave move in on us next week, bringing rain. Key word supposed to be. Thats the only kind of tropical weather I care to see.

seems we've got a chance of t-storms late next week..as long as we get RAIN and not the lightning we got tuesday that started some grassfires..

On that same note..Fourth of July scares me, espc with this dry weather..townfolk think its awesome to drive out on the country roads and shoot their fireworks off..hey, its not near their house, right? :mad:

Sale this week was packed with cattle I was told..everyone is severely culling or selling out completly..no pasture, no water..Was told by old timers they hadnt seen these types of cows, in these numbers, going thru the sale in a LONG time.

Time will tell what the future holds.

kenny thomas":2ewk2fgc said:
Yeah it does doesn't it Kenny. You know the saying "the faster I go the behinder I get"....The few and infrequent rains some have gotten aren't makeing the averages much less closing the gap.

drmon.gif

Click on the link to see a 12 week time laps loop
http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/12_week.gif
Appears to me like NE Texas upt thru Arkansa and Missouri along with the northern parts of the gulf coast statesare not progressing and may be maintaining. But notice how the extreem it's getting along the southern parts of the gulf coast states. Even on up the Atlantic coast...Conditions in Arizona Kansas,Colorado and Okalahoma and New Mexico are getting worse just the same.

Vett-You know that is wonderful news.....BUT....your problem is still the next rain. When are you going to get that one....Until they come with regularity a week or so apart you are still in trouble. With that thought, trust me and don't waste money on fertilizer because you just got a rain....it's not going to be the next rain that counts, it's the one after the next.

I'm not gonna worry about fertilizer, its getting to late to fool with it. It's raining now, third rain this week forth in two weeks. It's looks to be turning but like it was said before "your only 10 days away from another drought".

spinandslide":xs1xsa0o said:
seems we've got a chance of t-storms late next week..as long as we get RAIN and not the lightning we got tuesday that started some grassfires..

On that same note..Fourth of July scares me, espc with this dry weather..townfolk think its awesome to drive out on the country roads and shoot their fireworks off..hey, its not near their house, right? :mad:

Sale this week was packed with cattle I was told..everyone is severely culling or selling out completly..no pasture, no water..Was told by old timers they hadnt seen these types of cows, in these numbers, going thru the sale in a LONG time.

Time will tell what the future holds.

Heard this evening that firework sales were going to be banned across the state. Now that was hearsay haven't read anything official.

Still no rain here in the Texas panhandle. 9/10's of an inch sense Sept. 1st 2010......Moderate frame efficient cattle are the key out here. We get a drought every couple of years it seams. Cattle are surviving on Mesquite beans and browse and protein tubs. Hay is gone and cattle are going to CRP or the sale barn. We have had zero native grass so far this year B-Dahl and Spar are growing a little (going to plant some more if it gets wet again). I started working the sale barn again to make some extra cash, lots of cows in bad shape coming through. 95% are going to the packers. This drought is going to lower the national cow herd numbers again and will bring strong prices in the future if we can hold on.

Here is a pic I took today in what is usually my summer pasture that is usually belly deep in green by now.
050-1.jpg

Wild Cattle":3sfmp78y said:
Still no rain here in the Texas panhandle. 9/10's of an inch sense Sept. 1st 2010......Moderate frame efficient cattle are the key out here. We get a drought every couple of years it seams. Cattle are surviving on Mesquite beans and browse and protein tubs. Hay is gone and cattle are going to CRP or the sale barn. We have had zero native grass so far this year B-Dahl and Spar are growing a little (going to plant some more if it gets wet again). I started working the sale barn again to make some extra cash, lots of cows in bad shape coming through. 95% are going to the packers. This drought is going to lower the national cow herd numbers again and will bring strong prices in the future if we can hold on.

Here is a pic I took today in what is usually my summer pasture that is usually belly deep in green by now.
050-1.jpg
:shock: Holy Shyte! I'm gonna pray you get some rain too WC. It's getting bad here but not that bad, I truly feel for those of you going thru these kind of conditions.

I really wish we could send the rain your way. Our crop ground is puddling up again and there won't be any time for a second re-plant, and the Missouri is completely flooding it's banks. Lots of friends and family are losing their homes and crop ground. They say this is our 500 year flood. Praying the weather all over the US will shape up, fast.

I never thought good 'ol Louisiana would be this dry. In the summer we usually can set the clock by the afternoon thunderstorms (from the moisture coming in off the gulf). My pasture now has no bermuda, period - it died a LONG time ago. The only thing hanging on is the bahia, and it's not growing, just barely staying alive. We've had some recent rains, but they barely knocked the dust down. Were somewhere around negative 18 inches year to date. Highly unusual for us. I've already given up on making hay on my pastures (I'll have to buy), and my "hay" pasture is being grazed now. We'll see how good of a friend my hay guy is this year...

The weather channel says next week we'll get it, but as said its not this rain we need, its the next three or four that"ll make the grass come back.

Navasota and Brenham total over 3500 head sold in 1 week not including calves.
Less than 3 inches rain since last September for most around here.
Scalpers getting $85.00 a bale for hay.

Coastal 4x5's around here are 65.00 right now..no other hay to be found local. I've been putting out hay for the last month since I'm stocked twice normal capacity and can't open gates to MIL's property till all inspections are done. Main gate to her place has to stay open.Otherwise there would be plenty of browse for the lot.

Drought is the reason I do my own bailing . Even though there isn't much grass you can almost always find someone that needs their place mowed . Even if its not something you normally wouldn't bail . I'm not gonna pay 65 a bail .

i'm totally a D4. probably start selling cows next week. although the last two nights i got a tenth of an inch of rain! puts me up to 4/10ths for the year.

Latest posts