It's gettin real bad here

Help Support CattleToday:

Fireworks are already illegal here, but because of an incident when someone died when a fireworks went into the crowd at a school. (I think)

We are going into Winter now. Frosts will kill the grass.

Caustic Burno":1e7igef9 said:
Seen a sign on the courthouse square with flashing red lights baning the sale and use of fireworks in the county.
CB I think the ban is statewide. 106 degrees here yesterday. New Record....and dry as a chip.

Caustic Burno":1c7mgk78 said:
spinandslide":1c7mgk78 said:
seems we've got a chance of t-storms late next week..as long as we get RAIN and not the lightning we got tuesday that started some grassfires..

On that same note..Fourth of July scares me, espc with this dry weather..townfolk think its awesome to drive out on the country roads and shoot their fireworks off..hey, its not near their house, right? :mad:

Sale this week was packed with cattle I was told..everyone is severely culling or selling out completly..no pasture, no water..Was told by old timers they hadnt seen these types of cows, in these numbers, going thru the sale in a LONG time.

Time will tell what the future holds.

Heard this evening that firework sales were going to be banned across the state. Now that was hearsay haven't read anything official.

I will hope..but all the firework stands are getting set up in my area..:(

spinandslide":p11wgbo7 said:
and so the predators do come out in times of desperation TXBred...sad...

if you ask, they'll tell you it's supply and demand; i'll say one thing, i'm glad i don't have to depend on the gov't for hay...

tsmaxx-I "heard" thru the grapevine of a local hayguy who is going to up his prices..now, I understand price increases for increases in things that cut into your profit..but increasing prices beyond that "just because"..folks remember that..they may buy hay from you now, but they sure as heck wont in the future.

I am in central texas.Out of grass like every one else.Last week I started pushing big mesquite trees over so cows could eat the leaves and beans. Cows are doing ok on them.
My Pop ran cows thru the 50s drouth right here. At one point he was feeding shredded newspaper ,molasses and cottonseed meal.Hope we dont get that bad.

No rain here in weeks, hot dry winds and temps daily hovering in the 100's. It's worse now than it was in 2006. People went ahead and chopped down and baled their corn because it wasn't gonna make and it was burning up. And come this winter, people are going to be feeding whatever they can get their hands on.

Lammie":61curc75 said:
No rain here in weeks, hot dry winds and temps daily hovering in the 100's. It's worse now than it was in 2006. People went ahead and chopped down and baled their corn because it wasn't gonna make and it was burning up. And come this winter, people are going to be feeding whatever they can get their hands on.

I have enough hay to make the winter, if i don't have to start haying this summer. Luckly I had cut my cows way down.
Now if I can hang on to these F-1 baldie heifers until next spring they should bring a premium.

Neighbor just put out hay for his cattle..they've been on this pasture since March-April time..

My pasture still has grass..I am hoping it lasts me to September before I've got to start haying. the one side gets irrigation off my hayfield, so it is pretty green.

CB brings up a good point..those who can weather this storm will be better off come next year.

spinandslide":1fiakwt3 said:
Neighbor just put out hay for his cattle..they've been on this pasture since March-April time..

My pasture still has grass..I am hoping it lasts me to September before I've got to start haying. the one side gets irrigation off my hayfield, so it is pretty green.

CB brings up a good point..those who can weather this storm will be better off come next year.
I'd bet most aren't weathering with a full herd...What is tough is the reduced income next year from the smaller herd. You will find yourself in trouble if you use the money from selling to weather thru the storm....Being better off next year? Wouldn't advise counting on that either...

True vett..

I am seeing..personally..folks around here grazing their pastures to dirt before putting our round bales...it will take a year or more of the pasture to come back if you abuse it like that...mabey next year isnt a good word..:)..more like "sometime in the future" and "if done wisely"

Anyone fed Broeme (spelling??) hay to their cattle? good stuff or no?

Well, been 12 days since the rain....one of those afternoon thunder-boomer would hit the spot right now.

1982vett said:
Well, been 12 days since the rain....one of those afternoon thunder-boomer would hit the spot right now.[/quote

Watched it lightening for about 2 hours yesterday . And again today . But not a drop. Grass has stopped growing again . Feed store by the house sold 35k in fertilizer 2 weeks ago during the little rain we got . I bet there a quite a few folks mad at them selves for wasting the money.

JSCATTLE":55hxun6a said:
1982vett":55hxun6a said:
Well, been 12 days since the rain....one of those afternoon thunder-boomer would hit the spot right now.[/quote

Watched it lightening for about 2 hours yesterday . And again today . But not a drop. Grass has stopped growing again . Feed store by the house sold 35k in fertilizer 2 weeks ago during the little rain we got . I bet there a quite a few folks mad at them selves for wasting the money.

Rained for about two hours a mile south of the house , those people needed it too.
Just finished moving hay for the year told, the custom baler to sell the rest to someone who needs it. I have right at a 100 roles with 12 cows left.

Latest posts