It's been a while but Question....

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown":du3vh3fx said:
Predef isn't for just for horses and in fact ask any horse person predef probably isn't their drug of choice.Why does everyone keep saying that.Is it that they are against Up John?Most high end producers especially dairy use Predef.

Becasue that is what the maker says its for. Horses and large animals. They specifically say horses. It was designed to treat joint inflamation in race and working horses.

CowgirlUpNY":3p7c4o6v said:
msscamp":3p7c4o6v said:
CowgirlUpNY":3p7c4o6v said:
Like I said earlier, at this point my philosophy is cure him or kill him.

That is exactly where we were - nothing to lose, and everything to gain. A word of warning - just in case you didn't already know it - if you opt to use the single dose therapy with Baytril, it cannot be administered again for 60 days per the box.

Good to know, thank you! Have you found in your personal experiences Baytril to be better than Nuflor? I swear I'm just going to throw out that darned LA200, it's never seemed to work to treat what ailes ANYONE when we use it.

Welcome! Absolutely, we don't even use Nuflor anymore, and the last bottle of LA200 we had expired in early 2000 - I discovered the bottle tucked away in the 'medicine cabinet' this past summer so that pretty much tells you how long it's been since we've used it. The only problem with Baytril is it can destroy cartilage in young calves if overused, so we keep records of who is treated and when, and we don't usually have to re-treat with something else when using Baytril - even on the dreaded salebarn calf. But, in all honesty, the calves are also checked every morning at feeding time, and they are treated at the first sign of being off feed, head hanging, coughing, apathy, or any combination of the above.

3MR":2uzipz2e said:
hillsdown":2uzipz2e said:
Predef isn't for just for horses and in fact ask any horse person predef probably isn't their drug of choice.Why does everyone keep saying that.Is it that they are against Up John?Most high end producers especially dairy use Predef.

Becasue that is what the maker says its for. Horses and large animals. They specifically say horses. It was designed to treat joint inflamation in race and working horses.

I am reading the lable right now so I will let you know exaclty what it says and in the exact order.
For the treatment of bovine ketosis and other conditions that require a potent gluconeogenic and anti-inflammatory agent.

For intramuscular or intrasynovial use only in cattle horses and swine
Notice how cattle was listed first.It might have originaly been designed for horses but the number one useage is for cows .However mine comes from Up John in Ontario and perhaps they have figured out just why is works the best on cattle.

Its the same thing. They are just marketing it to cattle and not horses. It doesnt work any better on cattle than horses. it works the same for all large animals. I was just answering your question why people are always saying its for horses. I dont know who came first upjohn or pfizer, the chicken or the egg. :lol:

Well, I'm sorry to say that he must have been too far gone. I was up with him this morning in his quarantine at 930-10am. I was almost a little hopeful because it looked like he ate some, took a temp. 100 - he wasn't even normal. He actually had some formed manure, which was what I thought to be another good sign. At least a sign in the right direction. Dosed him up and came back to the house.

DH went up to check his water at 1:00, and he was gone.

Can't say we didn't try.

Sorry, some times that happens. I would say you fdefinitely did all you could on her behalf.

Probably had an abcess.

Are you going to have the vet do a post mortem to find out for sure what she died from. If so, I woudl be intrested in learning it.

Sorry to here that he didn't make it.I don't know why if he was up walking just doesn't sound like pneumonia ;it seems he was failing very fast.There must have been something else becuase you were giving him all the top meds.I don't know if you want to do a post mortom as they are expensive but if you are worried about the other fella I would get one done.Hope all works out.

How big are these steers? Did they have any shelter? With the stress of the auction and shipping and then castration putting them out in a pasture with the wheather as it has been here wasn't a good idea.

They were 540 and 560 respectively. They had a run-in type shelter positioned so that it was a wind block.

They stayed in the trailer for two days while I administered antibiotics (because they were auction cows)

Aside from some recent, short lived cold, we've had a very mild winter.

I understand the whole 'auction stress' thing I just think that someone wasnt' very honest when they brought these animals to the auction to begin with if his health failed so quickly. Although I do know that other illnesses can take their toll that fast as well. It's a crap shoot.

No we will not do a necropsy, unless my husband wants to cut him open himself. But he hasn't mentioned it, so I'm guessing not.

I agree with you, probably a good chance the origianl seller knew they were going down hill and unloaded them as fast as he could. Sorry.

My hubby's boss bought 3 young bulls and lost one and is about to lose the 2nd.......... one doesn't always know how far they travelled to get to the salebarn you bought from..... nor if the seller EVER vaccinated them which would compromise their immune system as well.

Sorry for your loss.

On a side note, the vet I use has said they've had more problems with pneumonia the past few months than usual. I thought perhaps because we've had a colder than usual February but maybe its something else.

As far as Nuflor vs Baytril......... I bought some calves in Dec. to go on the holstein cow and I was giving Nuflor 6cc subq every 3 days and it wasn't getting them over it..... they get a little better and then sick again (snotty noses and scours). I was also giving Probios and electrolytes. Went and got some Baytril and that got em over it........ one dose. 2 of the 6 calves had to get a 2nd dose but they survived. When the calves on pasture started getting sick we run them all through and gave each - one shot of Baytril and that knocked it...... but I guess it depends on what type of bacterial problem you have (I really don't know why one works better at times than the other, except there are gram positive and gram negative bacteria and drugs will work well on one but not the other and vice versa).

My vet recommended PolySerum to be used on bottle and feeder calves (especially when you aren't sure if they've had colostrum or any vaccinations) and you might want to check into that as its a vaccination and I think I paid $23 for a 250 ml bottle, so its cheap.

Could have been viral. Antibiotics wont do anything for a viral infection. The Poly Serum MoGal mentioned might have worked against a virus if it contained the right antibody. Sorry to hear that all your hard work was for not. :(

SCRUBS620":3b3004jh said:
Could have been viral. Antibiotics wont do anything for a viral infection. The Poly Serum MoGal mentioned might have worked against a virus if it contained the right antibody. Sorry to hear that all your hard work was for not. :(

I never consider it for not, because with every experience we learn a little more. Some lessons are just harder learned than others!

I was sorry to see him go though.

Central and western NY had a ton more snow than we got! The V-Day storm was the most snow we've gotten all year. About 2'. Granted that cold snap we got towards the end of Feb. was no picnic. But we didn't get these feeders til March. We still had some residual cold, but not a great deal.

It just wasn't in the cards for these two for us.

Latest posts