It's been a while but Question....

Help Support CattleToday:

Depends on what kind of pneumonia and how bad it is.

Treat with antibiotics. Go right for the big dogs, dont mess around with oxytetracyclene.

Well at this point, we are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at him with the thought that it will either cure him or kill him.

We are still in the very early learning stages of cows, just trying to raise a few to have beef for ourselves and maybe one or two to sell.

We got these two feeders last week. Because they came from an auction (yes I already know what you will say to that) we dosed them both with LA200 (why do I even bother with that stuff?) and castrated them. Turned them into their own pasture for about 1 week. They both looked a little depressed (hanging head and such) but would eat, drink all that happy stuff. Then we got this nasty cold snap. So I didn't spend a lot of time outside. Just went out, did what I needed to do and back inside.

I knew in my head that something was not right with this animal, but once we turned him out there was no getting near him so I was kind of hoping that the two doses he got of LA200 would help him kick whatever he had.

Well, I went out the other day and just kind of followed him around, watching him and told my husband he was going to die.

We managed to catch him (that was a site......husband holding the tail, me up around the head trying to get a lead on him, both of us mud-skiing. Oh and did I mention that I'm 8 months pregnant?? We were a sight!!)

Loaded him up in the trailer so he would be somewhere confined where I could work on him, called a vet friend of mine - believe it or not, where we are we can NOT get a large animal vet here that treat farm animals!) She gave me some dosages and we've been at it since yesterday.

He's still alive, I guess thats a good sign. We're pouring meds into him, so we'll see.

We modified the cow shed with a 12 foot tube gate so that he now has his own stall, and he's still confined enough that I can get in and do what I need to.

I just can't in good conscience, knowing I have all sorts of meds here, and at my disposal if I really needed them to not try to save him. Ya Know?

If you think he was going to die, you need to be hitting him with batril or nuflor at the least.

Im not a ve, and im not saying I recomend this: BUT, if it was me I would probably be giving the single does treatment for the multiple dose time. ie: single dose = 12cc one day
multiple dose = 5cc three days

I would give 12cc for three days, maybe even four or five. Understanding your withdrawal time is going to be through the roof.

Well, I had this big long post typed out, but my computer decided to have a MSN moment.....

so the long and short of it is he's getting hit with Nuflor, Banamine, PenG and Vit. B complex in measured doses according to his weight and dosing guidelines.

Fingers crossed.

CowgirlupNY, we've had very good results with hitting them with the top, single dose listed for their weight on the box of Baytril, then following up with 20 - 30 cc's of pen-g the next day(depending on weight). If they fell between - say 450 lbs - I would use the mid-3/4 dose for 500 lbs, depending on what they looked like. I hope that makes sense. I know the pen-g dose is heavy, but those calves recovered and have done just fine. FWIW, these calves were 4-500 lb salebarn calves, and sick as dogs. We thought we were going to lose a couple of them.

I dont think it was your computer. I think it was the site.

Im not sure, but can you give Pen and Nuflor together? Some antibiotics work agaisnt each other. I guess if this is what the vet said to do he would know the answer to that though.

Banamine and Vit B are sure going to make him feel better if nothing else.

Let us know how it goes. I have had real good results with baytril and Vit B, which would be similar to your cocktail.

Wow, that much PenG eh? I'm not dosing near that amount at all. But I am dosing BID, but thats still not quite what you've done. Say it works eh? Like I said earlier, at this point my philosophy is cure him or kill him.

CowgirlUpNY":17jywpiy said:
Like I said earlier, at this point my philosophy is cure him or kill him.

That is exactly where we were - nothing to lose, and everything to gain. A word of warning - just in case you didn't already know it - if you opt to use the single dose therapy with Baytril, it cannot be administered again for 60 days per the box.

3MR":3nkkzbnw said:
Im not sure, but can you give Pen and Nuflor together? Some antibiotics work agaisnt each other. I guess if this is what the vet said to do he would know the answer to that though.

Let us know how it goes. I have had real good results with baytril and Vit B, which would be similar to your cocktail.

I had asked the same about the Nuflor/PenG mix and she was comfortable with it, and well it hasn't killed him yet. LOL

When you were giving the Vit. B - did you give it every day?

I would switch banamine to predef as predef increases their appetite.Besides banamine is more of a pain killer.Use nuflor intermusc remember 3 cc,s per 100# weight every second day.Also don't over medicate you can do more harm than good.If the animal weighs 800 lbs then he should get 6-8 cc's of predef but only for a couple of days.Also if he is kind of unruly and you can poke needles into him by yourself he's not that sick.

hillsdown":bo6voqcz said:
I would switch banamine to predef as predef increases their appetite.Besides banamine is more of a pain killer.Use nuflor intermusc remember 3 cc,s per 100# weight every second day.Also don't over medicate you can do more harm than good.If the animal weighs 800 lbs then he should get 6-8 cc's of predef but only for a couple of days.Also if he is kind of unruly and you can poke needles into him by yourself he's not that sick.

What is predef short for?? I'm not recognizing that. And he's not all that unruly, I don't even need a lead on him to stick him. He just stands there. But at least he's standing. And he was maybe 2% feistier tonight than this morning. Hoping these are all good signs of things to come.

CowgirlUpNY":3d2a5ayr said:
3MR":3d2a5ayr said:

I had asked the same about the Nuflor/PenG mix and she was comfortable with it, and well it hasn't killed him yet. LOL

When you were giving the Vit. B - did you give it every day?

I just give it once and they usually pep up pretty quick, especially if I give the Banamine as well, but I usually just give the B Complex..

CowgirlUpNY":3lh1vqk5 said:
hillsdown":3lh1vqk5 said:

What is predef short for?? I'm not recognizing that. And he's not all that unruly, I don't even need a lead on him to stick him. He just stands there. But at least he's standing. And he was maybe 2% feistier tonight than this morning. Hoping these are all good signs of things to come.

Predef isnt short for anything. Its an anti-inflamatory drug for horses. You can use it on cattle. The Banamine and vit B complex will increase appetite as well.

msscamp":21y1267q said:
CowgirlUpNY":21y1267q said:
Like I said earlier, at this point my philosophy is cure him or kill him.

That is exactly where we were - nothing to lose, and everything to gain. A word of warning - just in case you didn't already know it - if you opt to use the single dose therapy with Baytril, it cannot be administered again for 60 days per the box.

Good to know, thank you! Have you found in your personal experiences Baytril to be better than Nuflor? I swear I'm just going to throw out that darned LA200, it's never seemed to work to treat what ailes ANYONE when we use it.

Predef 2X is isoflupredone acetate sterile suspension for injection a sterile aqueous suspension.I just know it as predef and we really don't use banamine around here that much as I said it is more of a pain killer and also alot more money about $2.50 a cc.I just had a heifer with pneumonia she weighed about 1000 lbs so she got 12 cc,s of Predef and 35 cc's of nuflor intermusc every second day lasting two treatments.And she was very sick it came on after a very cold snap and 50 mile an hour winds the others were being mean to her so she stayed out in the wind a cold instead of going in the barn.The treatment worked for her and she just calved here last week.I haven't lost an animal to pneumonia in 8 years thank goodness and touch wood for Nuflor and Predef don't know what I will do if that stops working.Follow the vets instructions sounds like you caught him in time and keep taking his temperature that is always the first sign of recovery or failure and in time you will get to know him so you will be able to tell by looking at him if he is doing O.K.Good Luck but it does sound like you got to him in time and keep a sharp eye on the other steer lets hope its not any contagious desiese.

I dont know if Baytril is better than Nuflor, but its sure cheaper dose for dose.

LA200 has its place. It ain't near as potent as the good stuff but its a lot cheaper. If you catch it early LA200 can bring em around.

Bama":7wdp3qyv said:
LA200 has its place. It ain't near as potent as the good stuff but its a lot cheaper. If you catch it early LA200 can bring em around.

Duramyacin is even cheaper than LA200 and the same thing.

[
Predef isnt short for anything. Its an anti-inflamatory drug for horses. You can use it on cattle. The Banamine and vit B complex will increase appetite as well.[/quote]

Predef isn't for just for horses and in fact ask any horse person predef probably isn't their drug of choice.Why does everyone keep saying that.Is it that they are against Up John?Most high end producers especially dairy use Predef.

Latest posts