It's a girl

Help Support CattleToday:

osu shorty

Reaction score
Little Emily was born at 5:00am this morning and hit the ground running! This is the first heifer for the mom, she's always had bulls before so I'm super excited. Weighed 100# and 6 days overdue.

emily_4.jpg

cowboyup216":1af5voay said:
Congrats. Me personally I wouldnt keep a 100 pound heifer she'd be going to the slaughter house. Heifers and cows are the ones that cause calving problems more so than bulls. That's the main reason I wouldnt keep her. Second reason is I wouldn't be able to sell her. I don't know anyone that would want a calf around these parts with a 100 pound birthweight. Might work up there but not around here.

Just curious as to specifics into why she is no good?100 lbs is not big if it is out if an older cow especially if she had no calving problems ;did everything on her own and was up to care for her calf right away and her after birth came off with in a few hours.I don't know the breed of the animals but even with my calving ease bull my older cows pop out 100-120 pound calves without even blinking and the heifers have the nice 65-80 pound calves.

cowboyup216":3mc1xgzt said:
Congrats. Me personally I wouldnt keep a 100 pound heifer shed be going to the slaughter house. Heifers and cows are the ones that cause calving problems more so than bulls. Thats the main reason I wouldnt keep her. Second reason is I wouldnt be able to sale her. I dont know anyone that would want a calf around these parts with a 100 pound birthweight. Might work up there but not around here.

OSU Shorty, Don't ya' just love it when someone says, "Congrats," and then attaches conditions to it?

Alice

Hey Alice do you understand the comment that was made about the birth weight; because I haven't a clue.I know I am dense sometimes but this one went WOOOSH right over my head.

hillsdown":22cwzvv0 said:
Hey Alice do you understand the comment that was made about the birth weight; because I haven't a clue.I know I am dense sometimes but this one went WOOOSH right over my head.

Yeah, I understand it. It's just a backhanded comment meant to stir something up...try to make someone feel inferior...and try to make the commentor appear to be the ultimate word. Looks to me like the commentor needs to get a life.

He's already done his best to alienate a wonderful veterinarian, Vet Vicky...and I hope like crazy it didn't work.

Alice

yep.. I agree with you ALice.. Hard to understand why people cant just hold a comment to something positive.

BEAUTIFUL Calf. I love the shorty color. Don't listen to those guys, if you want to keep her go ahead. If you don't...here's my address, ddrop her off anytime. ;-)

y'all need to ignore cowboyup216. He is just here to cause arguments. Many of you will remember turnthatcowloosema (TTCLM). Same guy. Ignore all of his posts, don't quote him and laugh at his temper tantrums.

BTW - Great looking heifer!

Congrats on the great looking calf. I have 2 shorthorn heifers due in a month & I can't wait to have them born. How close are you to NY? :)

Latest posts