It is going to Happen

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Read post on here everyday about this problem or that from the newbies.

You are going to loose calfs just part of the business plan on 10%, you should do better, but plan for it.
Some just get here looking for a place to die this is where you have to learn to draw the X and not drop 400 bucks on a losing battle trying to save it.
You will have down cows if you stay in this learn when to draw the X again.
You are going to have a higher loss percentage dealing with heifers just fact.
If you don't believe it just read the board on heifer versus mature cow calving problems.
The biggest and hardest lesson is developing an eye for cattle and cutting off problems or reducing loss by getting old Belle the salebarn . Its not going to happen overnight.

I agree. While it's not something that any of us want to happen, it's still going to. You've got to learn to cut your losses and cut them quick.

I agree, and it ain't always health problems that will get you.

Right now I have two young calves with torn up rear hamstrings due to coyotes or stray dogs but I think they're going to make it without vet treatment. I killed one of the varmints last week, a big German shepherd type dog. He had just attacked one of my old cows and gotten her down in the mud and chewed up her rear end so I had to shoot her. Should have culled her last fall. Both carcasses are still lying within 50 feet of each other as coyote bait for a hired hunter. He has shot one coyote and he found lots of blood but no dead yote carcass yet.

That said, my calf loss rate last year was 2 calves or 2% which is a good year and I didn't lose any mommas. Most years aren't that good.

gabby":1nb14ud5 said:
I agree, and it ain't always health problems that will get you.

Right now I have two young calves with torn up rear hamstrings due to coyotes or stray dogs but I think they're going to make it without vet treatment. I killed one of the varmints last week, a big German shepherd type dog. He had just attacked one of my old cows and gotten her down in the mud and chewed up her rear end so I had to shoot her. Should have culled her last fall. Both carcasses are still lying within 50 feet of each other as coyote bait for a hired hunter. He has shot one coyote and he found lots of blood but no dead yote carcass yet.

That said, my calf loss rate last year was 2 calves or 2% which is a good year and I didn't lose any mommas. Most years aren't that good.

Highest percentage of losses here through the years has been dogs, but I think they are about to go to second place due to the flying black demons. I have lost them to everthing under the sun.
I lost one about 4 years ago found it in the pasture with a broke neck and not a mark on her( 4 month old) never did figure that out.

That is the reason I will not buy first calf heifers. I only buy proven cows and cut my losses.
I have never understood why people pay more for unproven heifers. I just bought some young proven bred cows and saved $400 ea. over the open heifers. The only heifers, or bulls, I raise are for genetic improvement and kept to a minimum.

Caustic Burno":3rllv6x9 said:
Highest percentage of losses here through the years has been dogs, but I think they are about to go to second place due to the flying black demons.

I didn't see any dog, I didn't shoot any dog, and it wasn't wearing a blue collar. :secret:

Your right, it is going to happen. S--- also happens, though, and there is a fine line. You can also go too far and be negligent.

Had a neighbor say once " the only person not going to have cattle die (or get out of fence) is the person that doesn't have any" , Meaning sometime if you have critters you will have losses.

I have been very fortunate with heifers over the last few years. To date I have not lost any or had to pull one. Knock on wood as I have 7 heifers left to calve this month. Had one born yesterday morning (first of the season). Heifer had it on her own as my Dad saw it in the field nursing at about 10 in the morning. Nice 75 poundish bull calf. I do not use bulls with a BW EPD of over 2.3 when I have heifers and my bulls have been built for easier calving. The bull that these heifers are having has a BW EPD of 2.1 but I think it would be lower if the accuracy was better as most run between 70 and 80 pounds. I hope my good fortune continues at least through this batch of heifers cause they are a very nice set and I think they will make good momma cows.

you have tobe ready to make descisions in the cattle business.as well as do what needs doing .no matter how bad it hurts or upset you.an you have to remember some people are softer harted than others.

I am upside down right now on cattle. We could use several more and there's an abundance of grazing. Having surplus hay cuts into the decision making process. Another drought like '05 would put things back into perspective.

novatech":2ga4lkua said:
That is the reason I will not buy first calf heifers. I only buy proven cows and cut my losses.
I have never understood why people pay more for unproven heifers. I just bought some young proven bred cows and saved $400 ea. over the open heifers. The only heifers, or bulls, I raise are for genetic improvement and kept to a minimum.

Not trying to steal or change this thread. (HOWEVER)
Have you guys never experienced or felt that home raised heifers do as well as purchased cows? Haven't you experienced that it takes a year or so for new cattle to get into sinc ( might not be spelled right) with, say my farm or say your farm??? The reasoning behind my statement is, I have bought bred cows and had goofy things happen with them, and on the flip side have not had problems with my home raised heifers?? Or am I maybe still looking forward to this excitement, in your opinion?

Just curious on your thoughts if this isn't out of place here.

hrbelgians":1hpwk6w4 said:
novatech":1hpwk6w4 said:

Have you guys never experienced or felt that home raised heifers do as well as purchased cows? Haven't you experienced that it takes a year or so for new cattle to get into sinc ( might not be spelled right) with, say my farm or say your farm??? The reasoning behind my statement is, I have bought bred cows and had goofy things happen with them, and on the flip side have not had problems with my home raised heifers?? Or am I maybe still looking forward to this excitement, in your opinion?

I sure think your right. I like to think the ones I raise are that much better but it's more than likely just getting in sync with our program.I read a few months ago about how it can take 3 or 4 years for a cow that is moved to reach full productivity.I'm sure wanting to get to the point where I don't have to buy replacments. the cattle I bring in have about 75% of the problems and about 90% this year.

hrbelgians":2vv4ffcj said:
novatech":2vv4ffcj said:

The only time we've had problems with bought cows is when they haven;t been raised on endophyte infected fescue. Those that have jsu tblend right in, the others it takes them a year if I'm lucky, but 2 most of the time.
Heifers that are raised here are out of cows that are adjusted to the fescue and they have been raised on it, plus their breeding is generally that which we know will work in our environment

Thanks for the reply guys.
I thought maybe I am getting barn blind and trying to make myself believe I am right! :banana:

Caustic Burno":oui0m9b6 said:
Read post on here everyday about this problem or that from the newbies.

You are going to loose calfs just part of the business plan on 10%, you should do better, but plan for it.
Some just get here looking for a place to die this is where you have to learn to draw the X and not drop 400 bucks on a losing battle trying to save it.
You will have down cows if you stay in this learn when to draw the X again.
You are going to have a higher loss percentage dealing with heifers just fact.
If you don't believe it just read the board on heifer versus mature cow calving problems.
The biggest and hardest lesson is developing an eye for cattle and cutting off problems or reducing loss by getting old Belle the salebarn . Its not going to happen overnight.

CB,
Back to the original quote, I do think you put it in a very good honest fashion of reality!

Caustic Burno":guyht0gm said:

Yeah, it happened at my house last night. Came home from work, checked the cows and noticed a 3 month old steer missing. Found him laid out deader than a hammer next to the north wall of the barn.
From the mud on him, it looks like he got knocked down and stepped on. Some years we don't loose any but then some years we do. It's a crap shoot..... I don't like to loose any but I really HATE to loose one that's halfway to being a check!

You got that right... It is going to happen.
Funny thing about those momma cows... they seem protective of their little ones, but in a barn or shed, they will step on em, lay on em, or crush em and not even budge. It is why I dont feed inside my sheds when it is bad weather. When it comes to calves or feed... feed rules out for those hungry mommas, or bulls.

hrbelgians":wief24dp said:
Have you guys never experienced or felt that home raised heifers do as well as purchased cows?

The biggest problems I have is changing pastures across the roadway. When the cows need to cross the county road, it is more comfortable when they do it in a hurry. Veteran cows know its good eating on the other side. Calves and new cows aren't in the routine. Once a heifer has been through it with the dam, she's right in there helping out the plan.

Some cows you buy have never been through the pasture change routines at all it seems. They just want to be left alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts