It Finally Happened

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I had mentioned a while back that the wife was wanting a particular horse some guy at her church was wanting to sell. Apparently, he never sold it for the $1200 he was wanting. The wife got a call from the guy Monday telling her that he was just going to give her the horse. He delivered it today and turns out that the old girl is 18 and doesn't have many teeth. She's looks to be in good condition and current on everything, so hopefully she's not going to be a big vet bill right off the bat. The wife rode her bareback and by all appearances she's a deadhead and appears to be a good sitter for the grandkids. Guess it'll all work out, but I was really hoping I was out of the horse business when I got rid of my first wife.

The old mare turned 30 last week. Bought her 26 years ago, twenty years ago she baby sat the kids for a decade. Not to mention all the game she packed out (deer /elk) she is still entertaining the neighborhood girls. Good luck!

Ist time out for Miss Jane wasn't the greatest horseback riding experience for the granddaughter. Jane is very easily caught, so that didn't take but a second. The girl and I brushed on Jane for half an hour or so and didn't hardly make a dent in removing her winter coat.

The wife came out and decided she needed the saddle on Jane so we could adjust the stirrups, girth and flank strap. The saddle is brand new and is like working with metal bar when trying to bend it, so that took a while. Got them pretty close before I gave up so I wouldn't cuss in front of the kid.

Kid decided she was ready to ride so we got her in the saddle and I led her around the couple of acres. As you can imagine that got old pretty quick for me, but I trudged on for a while longer. Rather than get off Jane the kid asked for the reins. Surprised me as she was really nervous when we started out. Gave them to her with some instructions and she took off. Surprisingly, she was doing fairly well until she forgot how to turn (Jane neck reins). Kid kept pulling straight back and Jane would back up like she was supposed to. That cost me another walk to where they were to remind her.

I started doing a few things with the chickens and kept an eye on the girls. Good ole Jane just kept a slow steady pace and was making a good babysitter. I went in the house for a minute and the kid came running in the back door saying Jane was rude. Rude? Apparently, Jane had enough riding time in and set on her butt like a dog. She waited for the kid to climb off and then started rolling. I went out to find her laying down like she was dead with all fours sticking out. Kinda scared me at first, but she popped back up when I grabbed the reins

Apparently, Jane needs some adult attention.

When I was a kid my dad bought an old gelding for my sister and I that was dog gentle but would do crap like that. I was maybe six years old and we went for a ride with dad and that horse sat down and started to lay down to roll and my dad rode up and leaned down and went to work on him with his split reins and that horse got up pretty quick. That was the second time I'd ever gotten bucked off.

How funny. My old donkey Benjamin would do that with our kids.
One day he laid down with Jamie while she was using her sister's saddle. Elizabeth did not care about her sister or the donkey. She just keep screaming at Jamie that he was going to hurt her saddle.

Didn't make it a year and the wife asked me take Jane to the sale barn this coming Tuesday. Jane's arthritis is getting a lot worse and keeping her treated for it is running into more than what the wife wants to spend. Guess we'll be looking for another kids horse come spring.

Yea, there's not a lot, when they start getting stiff. I didn't know if it was getting hock and stifle injections. Those add up quickly.

Those, coupled with the senior horse feed add up pretty quick. She felt so bad for the horse no one has been riding her and with winter coming on she decided it was time.

Latest posts