Is this right? on feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Jack-IA

Reaction score
Hello
New hereand new to cows,I should of asked first I think before jumping in.
.I just totaled up my feed bill on 2 holstein steers and it was almost 6 tons !! They were 510 #,s when we got them 48 weeks ago.We corn fed them and dropped off at butcher today.
My question is ,does that amount of feed seem right? Seems like alot to me,was shocked If it was right what should I expect the hanging weight to be?
Would it be withing reason to say they gained 2#,s a day or is that low?
Woud appreciate any info given of what would be the expectations of the "experts".
There was no hormones or steroids.Just feed and hay
thank you
jack

If they weighed 1357 when you dropped them off that would make them convert at 7 to 1. That would be about right on a good feed.

1357#'s would be a little over 2 pounds a day.

48 weeks x 7 days= 336 days

336 days x 2 lbs a day = 672 pds

purchased wt- 510 lbs + 672 = 1182 pds

Actually, if they're 1357 now, that would be right at 2.52 lbs a day.

How much did 6 tons of feed run you? Somewhere around $1000 or so?

Did you buy it by the sack or do you purchase it in bulk?

Jack-IA":1u7l3van said:
Hello
New hereand new to cows,I should of asked first I think before jumping in.
.I just totaled up my feed bill on 2 holstein steers and it was almost 6 tons !! They were 510 #,s when we got them 48 weeks ago.We corn fed them and dropped off at butcher today.
My question is ,does that amount of feed seem right? Seems like alot to me,was shocked If it was right what should I expect the hanging weight to be?
Would it be withing reason to say they gained 2#,s a day or is that low?
Woud appreciate any info given of what would be the expectations of the "experts".
There was no hormones or steroids.Just feed and hay
thank you
jack

What was the live weight when you dropped them off at the butcher?

You asked if that is the right amount of feed? Can't answer without more info? Such as: live weight of animals, type of feed? quality of hay, how much hay, etc...

There are a lot of variables which make it hard to answer your question.

Hello
Thanks for the replies
Feed was corn,oats protein,mineral mixed at coop.Yes it was in bags and roughly 1 thousand.Also grass and oat hay was fed.
It took longer to get them loaded so we did not get a live weight.
Hencce the ?? of what we did was average or low. I figure by looking at a tape that they had to be at least 77 inches which would be in the 1250 range. Will hopefully have the hanging weght later.
On the 7:1 is that 1# for every 7# fed?

thanks again
jack

yep,, 1 pound of gain for every 7 pounds fed.

jt

Latest posts