is this one too big

Help Support CattleToday:

STARSIX

Reaction score
IMG_0138_1.JPG

Yea shes big and its not the calf haha. But the real question to ask is will you make some money off of her.

CattleHand":368ozhn3 said:
Yea shes big and its not the calf haha. But the real question to ask is will you make some money off of her.
That's the question. Big like that, she probably eats like 3 cows but does'nt give 3 calfs a year.

Jogeephus":303admpi said:
Looks like a good cow to me especially if she got that weight on grass alone.

That's what I was thinking.With hearing about the drought and burnt pastures around I would definitely say she's a keeper if she has done this well in these conditions.I would take a dozen just like her.

Let's hope when she calves she puts all that into her baby.

WAAAY too big. You don't want cows like that roaming around making the rest of the herd look too small. Send her to me immediately to keep your other cows from feeling bad about themselves.

As has been already stated, if she's fleshed out that well on summer grazing alone, she's a fine specimen. I like her.

I don't really see why frame size matters IF you did not have to feed to get that kind of flesh. Over the course of grazing season, I do not see any difference in the flesh of my large vs moderate framed cattle. Do the large framed cattle eat more grass than the moderates...maybe, but who cares? There are just some easy fleshing cattle. Do they eat more hay in the winter? Probably... but, If the market will pay a few cents more for smaller framed cattle, you will more than make up the difference in the extra pounds. I would love a whole bunch more of those kind. Looks like a typical beefmaster momma to me!

Over all very nice long bodied cow.
I am not totally convinced on this frame size issue, in that moderate frame size egual more efficiency. Brahman and brahman influnced cattle (generally speaking) have been proven to be more feed efficient than say a straight bred something else. Given that, a larger frame score brahman influenced animal can be maintained at the same price as a smaller frame score less efficient animal. Murry grays are more feed efficient than many of the other breeds. They may have a lower frame score but their thickness many times makes them just as large as some high frame score animals.
It all boils down to what it costs to produce the calf and what they sell for. These two items may vary greatly depending on where you raise your cattle and what the market is wanting in your location.
Having said this, I also beleive that in a commercial herd of unknown breeding one should probably assume that the moderate frame score/weight will overall be more efficient.