Is this legal?

Help Support CattleToday:

country girl

Reaction score
My neighbor just finished pumping out his cattle lagoons. He hooked pipe to the pump and ran it to a "hydrant" out in his field, and sprayed it out into the field. He moved it to the other side the next day and sprayed it there. He hasn't worked it in or anything, it just ran down the hill and soaked in. I was wondering, can you really spread cow manure like this. I thought there were machines to put it into the ground.

It would be "neighborly" of your neighbor to inject the manure into the ground to cut down on the smell but at least around here it's not required that you inject.

millstreaminn":2apzivny said:
It would be "neighborly" of your neighbor to inject the manure into the ground to cut down on the smell but at least around here it's not required that you inject.

If he wanted to be real neighborly he'd offer to come over and do your place while he's at it.Z

country girl":uapwigdu said:
My neighbor just finished pumping out his cattle lagoons. He hooked pipe to the pump and ran it to a "hydrant" out in his field, and sprayed it out into the field. He moved it to the other side the next day and sprayed it there. He hasn't worked it in or anything, it just ran down the hill and soaked in. I was wondering, can you really spread cow manure like this. I thought there were machines to put it into the ground.
yes pumping lagoon water an waste though an iggagation system is legel.as long as the wind isnt blowing to bad.an the oder isnt drifting to bad.since its liquid it doesnt have tobe worked into the ground.the ground will absorb it.if she spead solid manure on the fields.its best to plow it in as fast as you can.to keep from losing nutrents.

rkm":2ogtl3iv said:
You probably havn't been a country girl very long, have you? :)

;-) My bet is a city girl that just moved to the country.

:lol: Time to smell the clean, fresh country air.

country girl":j4e0yvcd said:
sprayed it out into the field. He moved it to the other side the next day and sprayed it there.

I wouldn't mind some of that sprayed on my fields.

The dairy next to the farm where I work, pumps it into a truck (honey wagon) and uses the truck to spray it on the fields.

As far as I know, it is not illegal. And I hope it stays that way.

Katherine

As Dad used to say after we'd cleaned the corrals and the lots and things were smelling a little ripe for a few days--" On this place thats the smell of money"... ;-)

Legal in my area and it is good stuff to put on the fields.

If I could get a few thousand gallons I would be happy to accept.

Two teachers live next door to me. Last year they had some laundry on the line - I drove in the yard and asked how long until it was dry. The response was - "Taking it off in about 15 minutes".

Told them I was spreading in a field right beside their house so close the windows.

They did and I did.

Not happy about it but they managed to get over it.

Doing the same thing this coming spring as well. I will warn them and then go at it.

Folks coming to the country MUST understand the life is different.

Like OT, I think of it as the smell of money.

As for big Al the kiddies pal - when he reduces his actual useage of energy down to something like us on the farm - and does not do it by BUYING those freaking phony carbon credits - then and only then will he even come close to getting me to think he is a truthful man.

Bez>

KenB":1h64dya4 said:
rkm":1h64dya4 said:
You probably havn't been a country girl very long, have you? :)

;-) My bet is a city girl that just moved to the country.

:lol: Time to smell the clean, fresh country air.

sounds like it to me.

i live next to a pig place and they pump pig manure our of there manure pond and spray it in a field. cant even smell it on a windy day. of corse i live south of it and here the wind blows outta the south almost all year round. i dont think there is anything wrong with it even if it did smell. just smells like the good ol' country life.

and yes things are very different in the country.

neighbor sprays lagon water from time to time.. that isn't so bad.. But he injected, and not quite right, the left overs the first fall we were out here... It was about 45 every day with fog and no wind.. Oh the humanity... But it is part of living on a farm and we didn't complain that much.. Gotta spread some manure this week on some pasture.. should work fine.

My day job is working with dairy farmers and others on the rates, methods, etc of spreading manure. I am very well informed on the laws about applying manure and as far as I know there are no states that require injection. Although injection doesn't have as much odor problems as pumping through a big gun it still smells like manure. There are also other issues with injection. Like cost and soil compaction by a tractor large enough to pull an injector.
Welcome to the country. The good news is they will probably only do this two or three times a year.
Dave

We had a neighbor who pumped his hog lagoons then spread it from the road with one of the side dispensing liquid spreaders. Not real nice because it did get on the road, too. The worst time was when I was driving and approached an intersection. He was coming from the road to my right. He had a stop sign, but I didn't. He got his tractor stopped but the slinger kept going and the wind carried that liquid brown stuff onto my truck. Now that was nasty. But the truck needed washed anyway so that's what I did when I got home.

'country girl', you said it soaked into the ground so I'd say the farmer knew how to spread it right. If it's really the smell that has you bugged then move back to the city.

When we milked cows, we had the problem and the blessing of handleling liquid manure. And it is both, nobody likes to do it but it has to be done and it saved us a ton of money on fert. We tried not to be combative when people complained and had few problems. We had some neighbors call and ask if we would not spread near them around a certain date because they planned something outdoors. We tried to accommodate if we could. But when we spread the whole valley knew it. :shock:

Last summer in the 100 degree heat, I was driving an old 1956 silage truck around to the back of this dairy, where we were bagging silage for them. As I came around the corner of the dairy a loader blocked the road. I could see the road was wet from a water cannon hitting that section. By the time I got the brakes pumped up to stop I was on the wet section. I got the truck in reverse, but the cannon was coming around to fast so I reached for the window handle, but it takes both hands in that old truck to get the window up and the old jungle cat reflexes I once had failed me. The force of the water was shocking. Not only did it blast my hat off, but also everything on the seat including my lunch was on the floor. I'm glad I had ear plugs in. The kid at the bagger had a good laugh and so did I. Lessen learned, green water on a blue T-shirt will turn yellow when dry and leave you smelling like the south end of a north bound cow. :oops:

MR3, I had to laugh, we all had days like that. Sometimes we have laugh at ourselves or go berzerk. Hope you didn't have a hot date planned for a few days. Hard to have a romanic dinner after that. More than one time I had to take my clothes off before I could get in the house. You just hope nobody is looking to see where that smell is coming from. :shock: :shock: :oops:

My dad sold a city slicker a lot which had cattle pasture on 3 sides. The man built his house there and then complained to my dad one day about the smell of the cow patties. My dad had not spread manure this was just normal poop in a non crowded pasture. Anyway, my dad picked up a dried cow patty and smelled it and then stuck it under the man's nose and said it doesn't stick smell it-see it doesn't stink. My dad did that 3 or 4 times not really thinking about it. Well that man later told one of the other neighbors that my dad stuck cow you know what in his face. This same man got mad at my dad when my dad cut some trees that were on my dad's own land. ???? Go figure.

Gate Opener":p4at1qr5 said:
My dad sold a city slicker a lot which had cattle pasture on 3 sides. The man built his house there and then complained to my dad one day about the smell of the cow patties. My dad had not spread manure this was just normal poop in a non crowded pasture. Anyway, my dad picked up a dried cow patty and smelled it and then stuck it under the man's nose and said it doesn't stick smell it-see it doesn't stink. My dad did that 3 or 4 times not really thinking about it. Well that man later told one of the other neighbors that my dad stuck cow you know what in his face. This same man got mad at my dad when my dad cut some trees that were on my dad's own land. ???? Go figure.
what you just said is a prime example to never sell a building lot off your farm.i dont care if you need money or not dont do it.because when you do you have what your dad does.a person that complains about the smell.an gripes if you cut trees down.fact is its none of their business what he does on his land.im sorry to rant but i have no use for cityslickers nor outsiders.they more trouble than they worth.