Is This Bumblefoot ? pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Gwenhwyfar

Reaction score
gert_003.jpg

My daughters calf.... born today 25th November, out of a Reg "Greyman" heifer (1st calf) by a "Santa" bull.
Is this what you would refer to as "BumbleFoot" :?:
She can get around but is very awkward looking, drinking well etc.
I have taken the photo's to consult with a vet but after reading about similar experiences on the board, I may assume the problem might correct itself within 4 to 6 weeks ?

Nope. Bumble foot is when the feet are turned under to the point that they walk on the top/front of the hoof.

We have purchased a number of calves at the sale barn that look this way...never had one that failed to straighten up yet... :D I have seen them walk with them turned completely under (which is what I think Dun is referring to) and they have straighened up in a short time.

If the calf is nursing OK, don't worry, this too shall pass.

Good luck and post a pic in a couple of weeks.

Van

From the second picture that wasn;t there when I first replied, it looks like almost bumble foot. I've seen them walking on the ends of their toes and within a couple of days straighten out.
One place we lived a big Brown Swiss dairy and every week or two they wold bring a bumbly bull calf to the sale barn. I'ld buy them for a dollar sometimes as much as two dollars because people thought they were crippled. I'ld take them home and raise them for a couple of weeks and had people calling regularly to see if we had any Brown Swiss bull calves. Those guys were sure some serious money makers.

dun

That will straighten out. Give it a week or so and you probably won't be able to tell he had a problem. If he is alway walking on the front of his foot, or if you get one that is you can splint them with a piece of PVC pipe that is cut and slid over the leg and then duct taped in place. But unless he is always walking on the fetlock I wouldn't worry about it. Once the tendons stretch he will be fine

I had a heifer calf borned the nov 1. Her right foot looked like that . I think it took 2 - 3 days days and it staightened out. I always heard it's the way it was position in the birth canal that caused it. I do agree with randiliana If it hasn't straightened out on its on in a fews days I would splint it.
Good luck...

I had a heifer calf born with one leg like that also. I believe it is how they have had their feet for a long time before being born and just takes time to straighten and strengthen. I used a piece of card board and vet wrap to keep her foot from folding over for a couple days and it worked great. They will straighten out pretty fast.

Thankyou all very much for your prompt replies.
My daughter's mind is at ease now... This is her first calf, I had given the Greyman heifer (dam) to my daughter for her 21st birthday and for the long awaited calf to come out anything less than perfect was a shock to her.
But as has been my experience, all these little problems are just "Learning Curves" that makes us more the wiser.
Thanks again guys.
Regards
Gwen

We've had our fair share of calves that walk on their fron knuckles for a day or two but I've never seen one with the ankle joint so much larger and the knees bent back like this one.

I'd be interested in hearing what your vet says.

I've also had quite a few that were born "kneed over" and walked like Dun suggested, but I don't think I've ever had one quite like this one! I wouldn't worry about her.. she's getting up which is very good. No doubt she positioned on the womb funny.

I think she'll straighten out in a few weeks as well. She'll sure be happy when she can run and jump! :cboy:

TheBullLady":b76p0rt1 said:
I've also had quite a few that were born "kneed over" and walked like Dun suggested, but I don't think I've ever had one quite like this one! I wouldn't worry about her.. she's getting up which is very good. No doubt she positioned on the womb funny.

I think she'll straighten out in a few weeks as well. She'll sure be happy when she can run and jump! :cboy:

Wow! that calf is leggy compared to calves I'm accustomed to seeing. He was lucky to find room for those legs in the womb in any position :lol: .

Latest posts