Is this a good cross?

Help Support CattleToday:

suscofa

Reaction score
I have a red heifer ready to breed. She is 50% limi and 50% angus. I have access to a good red gelbviev bull. Would this be a good cross?

suscofa":1k0pzfj3 said:
I have a red heifer ready to breed. She is 50% limi and 50% angus. I have access to a good red gelbviev bull. Would this be a good cross?

Are you sure? If she's half Angus, she should be black.

Frankie":d2i2n3g6 said:
suscofa":d2i2n3g6 said:

As I know you are aware,There are Red Angus also.
:tiphat:

JMichal":1t3i6x1n said:
Frankie":1t3i6x1n said:
suscofa":1t3i6x1n said:

As I know you are aware,There are Red Angus also.
:tiphat:

Yes, there are Red Angus. Angus are black; Red Angus are red, unless the Angus is carrying a red gene or the Red Angus is being bred up from Angus. :? That's why I asked "are you sure?"

I'd wonder about this cross for a first calf heifer-the right Gelbvieh would work great-the wrong one sure won't.

r and s peckman":13nqzx8d said:
Sorry. I thought that Gelbvieh had small calves. Better check and use one that would be recomended for heifers.

Some do but , be very careful on calving ease EPD I wouldn't use one that was less than 110. And look real hard at the shoulders,length of neck and size of head.

If your heifer has a good base to her, gelbvieh bulls will do you right. There like any other breed, some good--some bad. I have had great luck and sucess with them, i think will that heifers breeding and this cross you'll do alright.

suscofa":23s05epn said:
Why bother with you gnat strainers?

So does this mean you don't know if she's Angus? Or don't know Angus and Red Angus are two different breeds? :D

This sounds like an exellent cross. She probably has some limomuscle and now you add some gelbmuscle and milk. And also maximise heterosis by adding almost completely different genetics!

OK enough finally, Frankie yes Red Angus and Black Angus are two seperate breeds but they are both ANGUS. Most people relaize that by the second word in the breed description or title :banana:

We breed heifers to angus bulls. Don't seem to have problems that way. You can go bigger for their second calf.

Sage":bdyp34j5 said:
OK enough finally, Frankie yes Red Angus and Black Angus are two seperate breeds but they are both ANGUS. Most people relaize that by the second word in the breed description or title :banana:

No, they're not "both ANGUS". One is Angus and one is Red Angus. He didn't mention Red Angus, only Angus. So how could people "realize by the second word in a breed description...."? Different breed; different association, different name, different color, different marketing. An apple is an apple, but a Granny Smith apple isn't a Gala apple.

Frankie":3nz185r8 said:
No, they're not "both ANGUS". One is Angus and one is Red Angus. He didn't mention Red Angus, only Angus.

You are way out there on this. Can a balck angus have a red angus calf?

Wewild":3aobhhlg said:
Frankie":3aobhhlg said:
No, they're not "both ANGUS". One is Angus and one is Red Angus. He didn't mention Red Angus, only Angus.

If she's carrying the red gene and bred to a bull with only red genes for color she has a chance of having a red calf. But a red calf can't be registered with the American Angus Association. And the Red Angus Association registers black Angus in some form as a basis for expanding the breeding pool for their breed. I answered the original question because I was concerned that the poster didn't know the difference and had maybe bought what she thought was an Angus heifer. But her snotty response has ticked me off. :(

Frankie":22iqi3mo said:
Wewild":22iqi3mo said:
Frankie":22iqi3mo said:

If she's carrying the red gene and bred to a bull with only red genes for color she has a chance of having a red calf. But a red calf can't be registered with the American Angus Association. And the Red Angus Association registers black Angus in some form as a basis for expanding the breeding pool for their breed. I answered the original question because I was concerned that the poster didn't know the difference and had maybe bought what she thought was an Angus heifer. But her snotty response has ticked me off. :(

Maybe so. Best thing for her to do is breed it to an angus ....red or black. They are both angus to me. They make fine Lim heifer bulls.

Latest posts