Is there a test to see how far along your pregnant cow is ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We took over my mother n laws cow herd because she cant really care for them anymore..We know they have all been together since Aug. or September and just roaming at will with the bull but we were not sure how to tell if she is pregnant because she was already big from her other baby she came with in aug. We were just assuming that mother nature has taken her coarse..We see how the auctions can tell you how far along that a cow may be so we were just wondering first of all how to tell for sure if she conceived besides the pregnancy test I found online..and if there is a test we can conduct that will tell us an approx. time when she was breed so that we would know how far along she was.. :?: We are all new to the cow herd thing but we are excited to learn a lot more..

Since you are brand new to cattle it would be a good idea to get a vet out to check the herd's health, worm and give them Blackleg and L-V shots and anything else needed in your area. He can also palpage the cows and tell you how far along they are approximately.

You will have to have a corral and squeeze chute for him to use. Check with neighbors about someone who could help out, someone who does parttime cowboy work.

Talk to neighbors for advice and get the name of a good large animal vet. You can also haul them to the vet for the checkup, this is also where the rent-a-cowboy will come in handy. There will be someone in your area who had a cattle trailer and will take them to the vet for you for a reasonable fee.

Good luck with your herd, you will love having cattle.

Sorry but there ain't a much better way than the way they do it at the barns. You can have a vet or someone come out to do it for you. Even then its only a edcuated guess. I have never seen a pregnancy test kit that your describing. As far as getting a really close date about the only way I know of is to be there when the bull covered her. At the very late stages of pregnancy you can tell by her filling her bag and swelling of her private parts. When she kinda has that leave me alone somethings happening look about her, wanders off by herself standing up and laying down a lot - she will calve in the next 12 hours, usually. This also depend on if this is her first calf. First timers normally break all the rules as they ain't sure what is happening to them either.

Bama":2tqgwk7z said:
Sorry but there ain't a much better way than the way they do it at the barns. You can have a vet or someone come out to do it for you. Even then its only a edcuated guess. I have never seen a pregnancy test kit that your describing. As far as getting a really close date about the only way I know of is to be there when the bull covered her. At the very late stages of pregnancy you can tell by her filling her bag and swelling of her private parts. When she kinda has that leave me alone somethings happening look about her, wanders off by herself standing up and laying down a lot - she will calve in the next 12 hours, usually. This also depend on if this is her first calf. First timers normally break all the rules as they ain't sure what is happening to them either.

No one could put it better!

fishermanswoman":1myq9cly said:
We took over my mother n laws cow herd because she cant really care for them anymore..We know they have all been together since Aug. or September and just roaming at will with the bull but we were not sure how to tell if she is pregnant because she was already big from her other baby she came with in aug. We were just assuming that mother nature has taken her coarse..We see how the auctions can tell you how far along that a cow may be so we were just wondering first of all how to tell for sure if she conceived besides the pregnancy test I found online..and if there is a test we can conduct that will tell us an approx. time when she was breed so that we would know how far along she was.. :?: We are all new to the cow herd thing but we are excited to learn a lot more..

fishermanswoman,

Welcome aboard!

If you took over a herd from your mother in law because she can't take care of them anymore I would definitely give them, or have a vet, the once over. (Meaning check everything and give all shots and vaccinations) It's likely that they haven't been cared for as well as needed, due to your mother in law's inability, so I would suggest reviewing the whole picture, from what they eat (hay, grass, minerals, etc) to the fences and corrals on hand, basically everything. Do your research and make changes wisely, as they will affect you for some time (example: picking a bull)

Good luck!

Have the cow palpated. Depending on how good your vet is and how far along the cow is, he may be able to tell you very accurately how many months bred she is. My vet is extremely accurate (to the day) on first trimester cows, and rarely more than 20 days off even on late second or third trimester cows.

Welcome....alot of great advise and some real friendly folks on the boards and a few old crotchity farts. I'd find a mentor who can help you along, most are happy to share a lifetime of experience; check with some of your mother-in-law's friends.
I'd have the herd vet checked if you don't know the history.
How's the facilities, fences, pens, chutes, barn, pasture...alot of work involved in maintaining if not in good repair but well worth the effort.
Good luck to you. DMc

Thanks everyone for your reply. The property is very large and equipped. Maybe a little rundown but it works.. We do have a corral and pen and all that so we will do ok...Good ideas and suggestions and I'm very happy to have found this website..and other cattlelovers... :cboy: I think we do need to check out the bull a little closer...There should be a lot of upcoming babies with all those ladies in the field and only one of him..right?? We'll keep you posted

If the vet has an ultrasound he can determine with very good accuracy the stage of the prenancy

dun

i was just talking with a guy who owns a company that does preg testing by mail. You just send in a blood sample and he will tell you if the cows are bred. He will also send a chart of which cows have more or less of PSPB which will give you a rough calving order.
If anyone is interested i can go downstairs and get the phone number. they claim it is cheaper than palpation.

Beef11":19z2w1b9 said:
i was just talking with a guy who owns a company that does preg testing by mail. You just send in a blood sample and he will tell you if the cows are bred. He will also send a chart of which cows have more or less of PSPB which will give you a rough calving order.
If anyone is interested i can go downstairs and get the phone number. they claim it is cheaper than palpation.

Have to be awfully cheap to beat $1.50 a head, that's our vets charge for sleeving

dun

dun":1qagqbgn said:
If the vet has an ultrasound he can determine with very good accuracy the stage of the prenancy

dun

I forgot about that. Little more expensive though - but on the upside, in the last part of the first trimester, a person can tell with the u/s if it's a bull or heifer calf. :) Took a cow into my vet's the other day for that.

And your vet's definetly cheaper than mine; $3/hd check over here.

oooh yes i know Doc Geary, tall dark haired fellow. he also has a clinic in Burley. We have worked together on a couple of occasions. Not many guys nicer than him. When i was up that way i used one of the vets there buy the Auction i don't remember his name seems there are 3 of them. Then i used a vet in blackfoot, moulton. That was my two trips to the vet with my critters. First time i ever preg checked was with Geary

He is a really nice fellow. You're right that there's not many vets nicer than him! Lately he's been letting me come over to the clinic and "shadow" him - just watch and ask questions while he works. I've been thinking about vet school someday, and I need to log some hours. He sold that clinic in Burley not long ago and just has the clinic up north now. His clinic is actually just a few miles from my house, so very convienent.

There are three vets by the auction. Dr. Call is one of them. I've used them a time or two. Speaking of the auction; the rumor is that it was sold recently and we'll be having to go to Idaho Falls now to sell stock.

I was up there on saturday but haven't been to the ring there in about 2 years. I knew the owners by association Louis Merril and i forget the other guys name, Louis is a good egg not so sure about the other guy. I sold a couple in IF but mostly i sold in Blackfoot. I thought real serious about vet school but found something that suited me a little better but was still plenty fun.

Yes, if you don't mind posting the phone# I would be interested in finding out about this man who does this test by mail...cost, etc. Thanks a lot and have a great Day... :cboy:

I would be interested in talking to that guy

Latest posts