Is there a "best" time to send the culls to sale?

Help Support CattleToday:

texanstraders

Reaction score
I'm a small operation and don't sell many culls a year, but was wondering if there was a "best" time to send them. Obviously early spring is probably the best, but are there other times of year that the buyers are looking for feeders ? I am in north texas (5o miles north of Dallas). I have a 9 month old bull calf that can go, but wondering if I should keep him around until a certain time or take him to the sale barn this week.
I hate to drive over to Emory from where I am , but the farmer down the road says I should use that sale because they have more buyers than the sale barn in Bonham. He says the one in Bonham has had some troubles and I should avoid it...Thanks in advance for the advice.

emory is a good sale to take cattle to.but since you just have 1 calf ready to go i think id hold it.till you have some more calves to go.the heavier the calf is the better.will you have some calves ready to go in oct.

If you are talking about just one 9-mo bull calf, just go to the closest sale. The gas to get him to a sale one county over that pays $5/CWT more would eat any increased profits.

texanstraders":yb2se734 said:
I have a 9 month old bull calf that can go
I gotta know why do you think this 9 month old bull needs to be culled is there something terribly wrong with it?

Nothing wrong with him, just don't need another bull and I have a feeder that I am finishing now. Don't need that much beef in the freezer. We usually only slaughter one per year for personal consumption...

he probably shoudl b castrated but he will b docked for being 9 months old and still being a bull. If i were you i wouldnt worry about it and since it is one take him to the nearest one if you had a small package of 5 or more then it would make sense.

Latest posts