Is labeling important?

Help Support CattleToday:

mtskylark

Reaction score
Hey there again, i'm just continuing my research on my paper. I'm really just looking for opinions here, or if you have anything else to say that's great too.

My question is, What is your take on labeling beef in the grocery store so people know where it comes from? Such as who raised it and where? Should the distributor be left off or on the label?

I think people have every right to know exactly where their meat comes from. Personally, I'd be more likely to buy beef at the store if I knew where in the states it came from. I do not buy any meat that's imported ie: mexico, canada

My opinion doesn't mean jack.
Talking with a grocer and asking if they see a difference in their sales and how much would offer more insight.

IF people really cared... then they would be buying at their local butcher shops. But bakeries and butcher shops have died out from their heyday because consumers prefer the cheapest prices from conveniently located big box grocery stores.

C.ountry
O.f
O.rigin
L.abeling

C.O.O.L. it was voted down under the Obama administration as being unfair to other countries because, if usa required grocery stores to put Country Of Origin Labels on meat being offered for sale, consumers would choose to buy meat from usa over meat coming in from other countries.
(and that is clearly unfair discrimination and racist too... tongue firmly in cheek)

Son of Butch":gd46pgxn said:
C.ountry
O.f
O.rigin
L.abeling

C.O.O.L. it was voted down under the Obama administration as being unfair to other countries because, if usa required grocery stores to put Country Of Origin Labels on meat being offered for sale, consumers would choose to buy meat from usa over meat coming in from other countries.
(and that is clearly unfair discrimination and racist too... tongue firmly in cheek)

To be fair it was also backed by a lot of Republican Congressmen unfortunately. I know mine voted YEA.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015

mtskylark":lrrn4l6k said:
Turkeybird":lrrn4l6k said:
I am in favor of COOL

COOL?
Montana,
I would suggest you study what legislation hurts and helps ranchers so you can factor that in your paper.

You need to understand how checkoff money is spent.

How giant mega corporations like JBS, Cargill have changed poultry and pork farming and how beef is being chickenized.

Study lobbyist that work on our elected officials and their influence.

By you asking what COOL is shows you have not even scratched the surface of what life changing events have and will unfold for farmers and ranchers.

HDRider":b9exzj0h said:
mtskylark":b9exzj0h said:
Turkeybird":b9exzj0h said:
I am in favor of COOL

COOL?
Montana,
I would suggest you study what legislation hurts and helps ranchers so you can factor that in your paper.

You need to understand how checkoff money is spent.

How giant mega corporations like JBS, Cargill have changed poultry and pork farming and how beef is being chickenized.

Study lobbyist that work on our elected officials and their influence.

By you asking what COOL is shows you have not even scratched the surface of what life changing events have and will unfold for farmers and ranchers.

Noted... If I had more time to put in to this I would definitely delve deeper. But because I am unaware is why I am asking questions. Perhaps I'm not asking the right questions? This labeling question was suggested to me by my professor, who knows even less than I do. I'm more familiar with the day to day operations, not the business side of things. But your response has shown some light on the issues. Thanks for your input.

I apologize for my ignorance. I know about the labeling issue, I was unaware of the acronym. My opinion is that I should know where my meat comes from. Its not racist. Other countries do not hold the same standards we do. And yes. You're damn right I would buy American beef, chicken, pork or whatever else before I would purchase from another country. It contributes to supporting our own economy. Just sayin. Not trying to start an argument.