Is it Blocked Digestive Tract?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sharleen

Reaction score
Hi there,

This morning I woke up to one of my cows bawling at her calf. She looked like her utter was full and wanted the calf to suck. Calf was born March 13th, hard delivery but calf has been fine. The calf was up but not very lively, she has always had a rounded belly but this morning it looked rounder, her nose is dry and doesn't look like she's peed or pooped this morning or the little hairs would be wet, right? She looked like she was going to nurse then she just pushed the utter around a little bit with her nose and then left it alone. I was wondering if this could be a blockage in the digestive tract. I am going to call the vet soon was just wandering if this is a symtom of something else.
I always appreciate any info that I get from this board it helps out a lot. Thanks so much
Sharleen

Could be.

But - food for thought - this calf is a month and a half old. Is it possible it did get to drink its fill, it's full, and the cow (45 days past calving) is not bellowing at the calf, but rather in heat?

Calves tend to stay pretty clean unless they're scouring. I wouldn't be concerned if you don't see manure on its rear.

I thought that too but you would think that the other cows would be jumping her and the bull wasn't paying any attention from his pen. The cow is awfully full to have had the calf suck so much to be that full. Also a couple of the teats are dirty. I got a hold of the vet he thought maybe colic or at worst a twisted gut. I sure hope not.

I should let you know also that the vet is coming by to have a look on his way out to another farm. I will keep you posted. Thanks

The vet came this morning. Tubed some mineral oil into her and gave her a shot of pain killer for possible colic. I have to give her two more shots this evening. Vet said if she gets the diarrhea that is a good thing because if she didn't that would mean a twisted gut. She is back eating and has had diarrhea. Still is a little uncomfortable but way better than this morning. Just thought that I'd let you know how it went.
Thanks for listening.
Sharleen

Thanks for the update. Good job getting the little one help! Things should start going smoothly now. ;-)

Latest posts