Is it Allergies?

Help Support CattleToday:

shutskytj

Reaction score
My dog has been itching and licking his body raw no fleas new bath everything does he have alleriges or is it something else and what can I give him?

Our dogs were itching when we moved out here. I thought maybe it was chiggers so I put sulfur on the yard and that solved the problem.

We had a dog once that had allergies. It would get hot spots. Had to take it to the vet for medicine.

allergic dogs usually lick their paws.

1 alergex tablet per day at the change of seasons work well for medium sized dogs.

He was licking his paws and I think I discouraged him to do that for it I just heard about cortizone shots and they are expensive and sometimes don't work I tried Benadryl that didn't really work.

shutskytj":n79ccaau said:
My dog has been itching and licking his body raw no fleas new bath everything does he have alleriges or is it something else and what can I give him?

It could be a bacterial infection caused by mosqitoe bites.Is the skin red and enflamed/hot to the touch?If it is you will have to get it on some antibiotics and a cream.If not treated the bacteria will keep moving and infecting all of the skin it can be very serious.

shutskytj":2wo44m7i said:

How often are you bathing him? Could be allergies, could be too many baths, could be the shampoo you're using, could be the food you're feeding him, could be a lot of things. Have you considered taking him to the vet to find out what the problem is?

Since we have moved where we live now it is like clock work every mid August all of my dogs start scratching & chewing on their feet. My vet puts them on Prednesone until it freezes enough to stop their itching. The skin gets red & eyes are red and they literally are miserable. They lose so much hair from scratching that it is everywhere. I hate using Prednesone but Benedryl & daily baths with oatmeal or other dog shampoos for itching do not work. I have also tried Gold Bond powder, Cortisone cream & many other things but nothing seems to help. I try everything before I go to the Prednesone but when they start making themselves bleed from scratching & chewing I have to use it. It has froze here once & frost once so the scratching has slowed considerably thankfully. I hate wishing for winter to come but it is a blessing when it freezes to get rid of the allergens!
Good luck

Thanks for all the replies I am going to the vet like I said it does come and go but every time it comes it gets worse :mad: I think I am also going to try and switch dog food although I have been feeding this food since I had him.

Latest posts