Dog is losing her eye

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
My 13 year old Chihuahua is losing her eye on Thursday. She has a degenerative retina disease. I feel sooooooooooooo bad doing this to her!!! Her eye is bulgy and they say its painful. Although she shows no sign of pain. My two dogs have had over 20 surgeries (one 13 and one 15) and this surgery bothers me the most.

Sounds like there is pressure in the eye (Glaucoma) so should make her more comfortable and best done while relatively fit rather than having to do it when her health deteriorates.

Ken

cowgal604 said:
My 13 year old Chihuahua is losing her eye on Thursday. She has a degenerative retina disease. I feel sooooooooooooo bad doing this to her!!! Her eye is bulgy and they say its painful. Although she shows no sign of pain. My two dogs have had over 20 surgeries (one 13 and one 15) and this surgery bothers me the most.

Sorry to hear about all that. It's always tough for us as owners to see them go through something like losing an eye, but she will be much better in the long run. They're really resilient and can adapt quickly. My wife's 15 year old miniature poodle had his eye removed recently for similar reasons, and he's adjusted really well.

A.J. said:
cowgal604 said:

Sorry to hear about all that. It's always tough for us as owners to see them go through something like losing an eye, but she will be much better in the long run. They're really resilient and can adapt quickly. My wife's 15 year old miniature poodle had his eye removed recently for similar reasons, and he's adjusted really well.

Thank you for sharing that! I need to hear stories like this right now.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
She will be much better. Don't fret. She will be better for it. Can't imagine having 20 surgeries on your 2 dogs!!

Thank you! Yes a lot of issues! This chihuahua broke her neck when she was 5 years old. That led to 3 surgeries but she amazingly pulled through! She was paralyzed for 3 weeks then slowly got back up on her feet, was really amazing to watch. There have been so many points in both our dogs lives where we thought this was it, we had to let them go, and then they just somehow get better again! Our 15 year old rat terrier makes up 16 of those 20 surgeries. The dog is basically bionic at this point

wbvs58 said:
Sounds like there is pressure in the eye (Glaucoma) so should make her more comfortable and best done while relatively fit rather than having to do it when her health deteriorates.

Ken

Thanks Ken. You're right, its glaucoma. Its interesting though I had made an effort to ask people with similar issues and research online, none complain of pain. Which is what makes me question this decision.

Maybe the pressure in their eyes is under control with medication. Things tend to be more aggressively treated and monitored in human medicine.

Ken

Over my 45+ years of small animal practice, I have had many totally blind patients.
Had several that had both eyes enucleated for various reasons. Dogs do exceptionally
well without sight if they are in consistent environment. Their sense of smell is so great
that they nearly see with their nose. Changes presents some issues, but with little assistance
they learn/adapt. Dont feel sorry for them, you are giving them life beyond the norm.
Wilson Lamar Parmer, DVM

wlamarparmer said:
Over my 45+ years of small animal practice, I have had many totally blind patients.
Had several that had both eyes enucleated for various reasons. Dogs do exceptionally
well without sight if they are in consistent environment. Their sense of smell is so great
that they nearly see with their nose. Changes presents some issues, but with little assistance
they learn/adapt. Dont feel sorry for them, you are giving them life beyond the norm.
Wilson Lamar Parmer, DVM

Thank you for the reassurance! We are taking her to the best ophthalmologist in our area so she is in good hands. Here is my girl. You can quiet clearly see the eye in question. Last pressure read came in at 62, and that was with medication to reduce it :cry:

Surgery is done. Not gonna lie, it's gonna take some getting used to for all of us. It has seemed to change her vision but may just be the drugs. But! Now we know she is not suffering from the pain of the eye.

Getting old sure sucks

3 weeks ago our daughter flew one of her dogs from Saudi Arabia to us ; carried him to TAMU for cataract surgery,because of his age no surgery needed as dogs can see with one eye as good as two so everyone is happy except me as a dogs place is outside not in the house, hope your dog gets better

cowgal604 said:
Surgery is done. Not gonna lie, it's gonna take some getting used to for all of us. It has seemed to change her vision but may just be the drugs. But! Now we know she is not suffering from the pain of the eye.

Getting old sure sucks

Awe she is still beautiful!!! How is she doing? Remember I had that one eye dead black cat wink. It is a little weird at first but than it grows on you. You will love her just the same if not more. Little battle wounds makes good stories after it's all done and said. 😉 May need add Wink to her name.

Chevy said:
cowgal604 said:

Getting old sure sucks

Awe she is still beautiful!!! How is she doing? Remember I had that one eye dead black cat wink. It is a little weird at first but than it grows on you. You will love her just the same if not more. Little battle wounds makes good stories after it's all done and said. 😉 May need add Wink to her name.

She's ok! Pretty blind. Keeping her from peeing on my floors is a full time job some days! She's 13. I also have a 15, almost 16 year old rat terrier who is in the last days of kidney cancer. At least I think so (2 years with the diagnoses this January). They both just spent 3 weeks with my in laws and I'm not gonna lie...it was a nice break from the senior care! I've had these dogs since I was 16/18. They have seen it all! When I found out she was going to lose her eye I did a really cheesy photo shoot with my photographer girlfriend. This is of course before she lost her eye but I think one day I'll look back and be thankful for these photos

My 2 year old loves this chihuahua! She's given him two black eyes but he still only hugs her with love. And she has taught me to never get another chihuahua again :)

Love the picture and yes most definitely think you will cherish them. She should do more with the one eye. 🥰😍

The real question now is you said the dogs stayed with your inlaws... than your girlfriend did the photo shoot... so do you have both a wife and girlfriend 😁😅😝 Just kidding!! Either way the girlfriend did a good job on the pictures.