Is it a common practice to have a cow bred by two bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

ram

Reaction score
I've seen a heifer and a cow bred by our primary bull first, and later our yearling bull bred them also. Both times I have no doubt that it was a home run. Guess we'll see who's the strongest swimmer. The older bull is a Hereford and the younger one is an Angus.

With multiple bulls in the same breeding pasture it isn;t all that uncommon. Neighbor had a Hereford and and angus bull with his cows. The angus was always bullying the Hereford. The Herefrod got the last laugh since about 90% of the calves born were his.

With my Hereford bull, I would hardly be able to tell 80% of his calves are solid black. LOL :lol:
Prime example Reg. Black Angus momma and that's a Polled Hereford sired steer. :)

Well my Hereford bull stamps his calves with white on the head. Out of 50+ calves he hasn't missed stamping one yet. But I only have 5 registered Angus cows left in the herd. I'm working towards a 3 way cross herd.

I've seen a set of twins with each being the offspring of each of the bulls in the pasture. One a pure blood holstein from the holstein bull and one black with a white face from the hereford bull.

Black and Good":3vmon8rk said:
With my Hereford bull, I would hardly be able to tell 80% of his calves are solid black. LOL :lol:
Prime example Reg. Black Angus momma and that's a Polled Hereford sired steer. :)

If that is the case you should contact every AI company in the U.S.A.

Black and Good":3oskd46c said:

Did you get papers on that bull? I've seen a lot of Hereford cross calves, and I don't remember ever seeing one that didn't have any white at all, and certainly not 80% of a bull's calves be all black.

IF you think it's uncommon, perhaps you should catch the Maury Popvich show sometime. :)
Saw one gal was having 11th guy paternity tested....not the father.
And I don't think that was even the record.

Son of Butch":1wimy2tj said:
IF you think it's uncommon, perhaps you should catch the Maury Popvich show sometime. :)
Saw one gal was having 11th guy paternity tested....not the father.
And I don't think that was even the record.
Like that ol' gal said "when you eat a can of beans you never know which one made you phart". :shock: :shock:

Some Herefords especially the goggled eyes and freckled types, tends throws calves with little or no chrome when crossbreeding with Angus. Not all Hereford are homozygous white face.

It depends a little on the bulls.. sometimes, if the dominant bull breeds the cow, then is OK with forgetting about her, the next in line will take his turn.. other bulls hang around with a cow to prevent others from breeding her..

And then some cows only let the bull have one go at it!

Rafter S":5f7cu4zp said:
Black and Good":5f7cu4zp said:

Did you get papers on that bull? I've seen a lot of Hereford cross calves, and I don't remember ever seeing one that didn't have any white at all, and certainly not 80% of a bull's calves be all black.

Yep, he's ET calf out of NASDAQ.

My reg. hereford throws red calves white face with google eyes from commercial cows black, black white face and reds.Very seldom get black/white faced.

Mat Man":2oznshnf said:
My reg. hereford throws red calves white face with google eyes from commercial cows black, black white face and reds.Very seldom get black/white faced.
Not surprisingly... But if you bred your bull to homozygous black cows, you'll get black/white faced calves.

I've never ran more than 1 bull in my herd at a time(45 cow). AI usually w/ cleanup bull. However I'm now taking over managing someone else's herd and there's about 100-120 cows out there. Is there any real danger (mind you I might be renting) to running 2 bulls in a group of 50-60 cows. I'm trying to avoid AI'ing that many cows if I can... I'd like to split that cow herd in half for 2 different calving windows...

I like having a yearling bull around, it keeps the older bull hustling. But I've never kept a bull longer than 3 years either. To me having a bigger older bull around is an accident waiting to happen.

What kind of accident??

We've kept a number of bulls to about 7 or 8 years.. one broke his penis and had to get shipped.. the Gelbvieh we had was about 7 when we shipped him and he was still an awesome bull

Nesikep":s6vfes6c said:
What kind of accident??

We've kept a number of bulls to about 7 or 8 years.. one broke his penis and had to get shipped.. the Gelbvieh we had was about 7 when we shipped him and he was still an awesome bull

For starters inbreeding, to some it's not a big deal. But there's a difference between inbreeding and linebreeding. And then size - weight, a heavy bull stands a better chance of hurting himself, or your cows - heifers during breeding. Then there's always the attitude thing. Seems older bulls get more ornery and for sure less trustworthy. The trustworthy part works both ways, if their good natured we trust them to much. Never trust a bull, especially an older one.

I've dealt with crazy younger bulls and older bulls but I didn't see any difference in their attitude, except young ones are a little excited. I do like older bulls better since most older bulls I had are laid back and easy to load up.

The SH that broke his pecker was a mean SOB even when we got him, he got worse with age for sure.. the lady at the stockyards remembers that bull for his attitude and she sees a few thousand a week.. that was 7 years ago.

We sold the GV bull coming on 2 years ago, also at about 7 years old, he loaded up perfectly gently, 4 hours later he walked off at the stockyards, and came up to my side of his pen to get his ears scratched.. A neighboring bull started bellering at him and he did take exception to that and they had to settle their differences of course.

Yes, you gotta keep your wits about you when you're around them of course, and be alert for things that pizz them off.. but I'm still more concerned about flighty bulls than laid back ones.. Here's a bull I raised and sold to a friend of mine, he's exactly 3 years old.. and he's got a good attitude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj3vC0oLJY0

Inbreeding/linebreeding.. yes, there's a difference, but you can work around it pretty easily.. it takes an exceptional cow to make a quality replacement heifer before her 3rd calf.. if those calves are father/daughter matings, you may leave a few pound on the table due to reduced heterosis, but it's not going to be a dealbreaker.. you're shipping them off anyhow... If the calf IS exceptional, you probably want more of those genes in your herd anyhow, that bull was doing something right!

Weight.. yes, this is the biggest problem with older bulls breeding heifers... I'm working around it with having a young bull with his own herd.. he should have more modest birthweights than our main bull and it helps me manage pastures and everything else better having 2 of them... and gives me a backup plan should one fail.

Latest posts