Irrigation

Help Support CattleToday:

MrBilly

Reaction score
I can't depend on old Momma Nature for moisture anylonger, so we will put in irrigation and use our 50 A watershed lake as the water source.

Was thinking about K line or Irripod like pod sprinklers, but I want to irrigate at least 50 acres and I just can't see my self out there dragging those things around day in and day out. Nothing is going to be easy, I realize.

I think we will go with a hard hose traveler that puts out 350 gallons per minute? I realize also that there is quite a bit more evaporative loss with the gun and some more chance of puddling with it also.

Anyone using a traveler? What's your opinion? and how much trouble is it to move them around? how much do you tear up the grass in the process? cAN YOU LEAVE THE TRACTOR HOOKED UP TO IT (MINE HAS A CAB SO IT SHOULD BE PROTECTED FROM THE WATER) RATHER THAN UNHOOKING FOR EACH PULL?

Thanks.

Billy

I use a small Kifco traveling gun. Mostly for getting seed up in the fall.

I use my Kawasaki mule for moving the gun each night. I don't irrigate during the day because of wind and evaporative loss.

My gun only applies 125 gal. per minute. The most expensive part is supplying the water to it with a tractor pump because my well pump will not supply a large enough pressure and volume.

It doesn't tear up the grass at all.

Be sure and get the Nelson gun with it. They are by far the best.

Billy

Haven't used either system, only center pivots & flood. Would suggest you compare the required operating pressures of the different systems. I would think the traveling big guns would require more pressure to throw the water the longer distance and would have more evaporation loss than the line pod systems. Higher pressure & more evaporation loss both equal higher operating cost. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Looked at the pod system as well as the travelling gun and decided on the gun. Pros and cons were about even except the amount of labor required. The Kifco system required less work.

we have center pivot in one field and for everything else we use the oldschool Rainbow reel. toting irrigation pipes gets old and so does getting that motor primed!

Latest posts