Iron Eyes Cody

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
My favorite Indian has always been Iron Eyes Cody. Then I ran across this site that was supposed to have his burial site. Of course they always buried Indians up on the wooden platforms, but I wasn't sure how he was going to be buried.
When I got to the web site, of course he was buried in a cemetery with a headstone, and I found out his real name was, "Espera de Corti," a son of Antonio de Corti and his wife Francesca Salpietra, immigrants from Sicily. In some of his earliest acting credits Cody was listed as Tony de Corti. He would soon change his name and claim to be part Cherokee and part Cree.
In 1996, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported his Sicilian heritage, but Cody denied it at the time because he was "ashamed" of his Italian heritage. Cody and his wife Bertha adopted several children, all Native Americans.

So he was not an Indian at all. I wonder if he had all the Indians in the movies fooled too? I thought they had some kind of agreement with the Actor's Union or what ever you call it, that American Indians would play the part of the Indians. I might of dreamed that one up.

That burns my rear end up anyway.
Chuckie

Some of the best western movies were made during the Spagetti Western era so it only makes sense that they use Italians don't cha think?

yall have to remember he looked like an indian.an he had the long hair an all.he found a good way to make a living an im sure he did alot of good.

I'm not talking about the fact that he acted like he was an Indian in the movies and got paid for it. And Chuck Connors didn't look like a Indian in that movie either. He can ride a horse though. But his blue eyes and the hair with the band did not go over as the "visual" thing that men have when they see women with fake breasts. He-he!!!!!!!! Still, they are glued to the TV when they come out with those zip locks attached to their chests. I have never figured that one out. OK, enough of that!

Iron Eyes Cody really told everyone that he was a true Indian in his personal life. I am proud he adopted children. But I see him adopting Native American Children to complete his lie. I can see him telling his wife, "Hey Bertha, let's adopt Indian children, then that way no one will ever question who we are! We won't adopt any other kind of children because that will blow our cover." That way the picture will be complete.

I thought he would have been more honest than that.
Chuckie

lets not forget floyd red crow westermen who played uncle ray on walker texas ranger was good to.your right chuck conners as geraimo was a hoot.because he was 6in or more taller than the real indian.

Elvis played an indian....as did Sal Mineo I believe. Who cares as long as they could say do sign language and ride bareback.

I played an Indian a few time when I was a kid with polk berry stains for my war paint. I even had ole "Jigger" a sea grass string rigged where it just went around the bottom part of his mouth. I bet if some passer bys came through, they thought, "These must be some of those people we read about. Get the camera out."
Chuckie

ga. prime":3k02syds said:
Chuckie":3k02syds said:
Let's not forget Joey Bishop!
Chuckie
Joey Bishop? Clue me.

I think Joey Bisop was "Texas across the river", Mel Brooks in "Blazing Saddles", Sal Mineo in "How the Wset was Won". Don;t recall any of the others mentioned

My step son has red hair and he's Indian enough to get benefits like education assistance and free health care. He has to drive to Oklahoma to get it, but you know what I mean. You don't have to look Indian to be Indian. And so I guess you don't have to be Indian to look Indian.

I thought Chuck Connors turned out to be gay. :eek:

Just gos to show you,don't trust Hollywood to be right about anything..
Wasn't Jay Silverheels a sure'nouf Indian??