Irma

Help Support CattleToday:

A friend of ours lives in Royal Palm Beach, on the Eastern/Atlantic side. They've been getting hammered for the last few hours. He posted a couple of videos he took, through a small "peep" area that they hadn't boarded up. What a mess! One of the videos shows the wind, blowing his truck and 'sliding' it across their driveway. Supposed to start to dissipate, in their area, by 11:00 PM tonight.

I haven;t been following it. But it makes me wonder why anyone would live in those low areas, knowing the possibilities/probabilities of flooding.

dun":279p01zn said:
I haven;t been following it. But it makes me wonder why anyone would live in those low areas, knowing the possibilities/probabilities of flooding.

No different than living on a volcanic rock, tornado alley, or on a fault line.
It's pick your poison IMO depending on your region

HS friend of mine lives on east coast of Florida.
They did not know when or where the storm would come in. But did know it was a big one.
I strongly suggested they get out and come to Louisiana where she has a home available.
They did evacuate and it made me feel a lot better.

They do not intend to go back until power is back on. Very wise in my opinion.

I blame a lot of the news as entertainment on CNN. Once itgot going all of the others needed to do something to compete with news 24/7

I believe it has weakened to a category 1 now and the worst is behind them.
Everyone (except the reporters) seems relieved that it has not been as damaging as first feared.
I realize it must be very bad to go through, but the reporters seem to think their job is to keep the terror going.

dun":36rlh6jl said:
But it makes me wonder why anyone would live in those low areas, knowing the possibilities/probabilities of flooding.
Given the vast size, beauty and livability of our country...
I'm surprised that over 50% of the population of the USA lives within 50 miles of an ocean.
Over 40% live in counties directly on the shoreline and they are expected to be some of the fast growing counties.

Son of Butch":2uywego4 said:
dun":2uywego4 said:
But it makes me wonder why anyone would live in those low areas, knowing the possibilities/probabilities of flooding.
I'm surprised that over 50% of the population of the USA lives within 50 miles of an ocean.
Over 40% live in counties directly on the shoreline and they are expected to be some of the fast growing counties.
Living near the ocean/rivers/etc. isn;t what I don;t figure out. It's living on basicly fill from dredging or behind levees that puts you only 10--20 feet above the level of the surrounding water.

dun":5ezlnahm said:
Son of Butch":5ezlnahm said:
dun":5ezlnahm said:
Living near the ocean/rivers/etc. isn;t what I don;t figure out. It's living on basicly fill from dredging or behind levees that puts you only 10--20 feet above the level of the surrounding water.
Lots of reasons Dun from as simply in that flat country you would have to get miles off the coast to get any elevation. It still doesn't drain well. The false sense of security from levees and pumps in some areas .
The population explosion of our coastal areas that have never seen a major hurricane. Dun I can take you to my old duck hunting spot that was filled in and
has million dollar homes sitting on the canal system built there. The ability to get insurance in areas today that you couldn't years ago.

Like this system
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron.co ... 622095.php

If it is built by man it will fail someday.

Look up the Ike Dike several proposals to protect the area from storm surge while they drown from rainfall.