Irma

Help Support CattleToday:

I got a call from Vidalia awhile ago and was told gas was sold out all over town and they weren't getting any more until after the storm passed. Don't know how true that is but it makes me think evacuees might have trouble finding gas to put in their cars.

ga.prime":2xftjh5k said:
I got a call from Vidalia awhile ago and was told gas was sold out all over town and they weren't getting any more until after the storm passed. Don't know how true that is but it makes me think evacuees might have trouble finding gas to put in their cars.

Last night a local store was flooded with phone calls from Florida people asking if they had gas. We did then but traffic is picking up so I don't know what things will be like by the end of the day.

ALACOWMAN":1z6ktt2c said:
Don't see how boarding up windows can help.. When there's no house left around them... :???:

After Andrew you could date the homes in Miami by which ones were standing and which ones were destroyed. Homes built in the 60's and 70's typically were standing with little or no significant damage.

Jogeephus":2s971sq6 said:
ALACOWMAN":2s971sq6 said:
Don't see how boarding up windows can help.. When there's no house left around them... :???:

After Andrew you could date the homes in Miami by which ones were standing and which ones were destroyed. Homes built in the 60's and 70's typically were standing with little or no significant damage.
. Man here from Victoria,Tx..said that

the old homes there fared better during a bad one in the early 60's... Because they give and flexed more than the newer ones....

True Grit Farms":2akwgsy1 said:
dieselbeef":2akwgsy1 said:
just ordered the mandatory evac for a zones in Pinellas cty at 6 am fri..the opposite coast from you because of the likely storm surge....

that means im going to go pick up mom and her dog fri morning and deal with all the people trying to bail out..omg..its gonna be sooooo bad...omg!!!!!!!!!!! itsa going north in the morning and then back south later...homeward should be ok..going up to st pete will be a pita tho

If you need a spot to camp out or some diesel fuel I can help you out. And that goes for anyone anytime. It took my brother over 12 hours to get to the camp last night because of the traffic. My mother in law is leaving in the morning, I told her to pack a cooler and sleeping bag.

well I appreciate the offer but I think we are better stayin put than if we were to bail. we live 80 miles from mom..probly be an all dayer there and back...she keeps saying she will go to a shelter....I just laugh..she has no idea...she is 79 yrs old...
it would take an awful bad fire for us to leave..thats about all I can think of..like I said..its just a real pita for us..we are prepper ready everyday....just how we live

ALACOWMAN":13pr13ho said:
Jogeephus":13pr13ho said:
ALACOWMAN":13pr13ho said:

. Man here from Victoria,Tx..said that

the old homes there fared better during a bad one in the early 60's... Because they give and flexed more than the newer ones....

Lot of truth in that.
The house I raised a family in was built in the 1940's not 20 miles off the Gulf.
It's on the fourth family I know of.

dieselbeef":eopziz80 said:
True Grit Farms":eopziz80 said:
dieselbeef":eopziz80 said:
just ordered the mandatory evac for a zones in Pinellas cty at 6 am fri..the opposite coast from you because of the likely storm surge....

that means im going to go pick up mom and her dog fri morning and deal with all the people trying to bail out..omg..its gonna be sooooo bad...omg!!!!!!!!!!! itsa going north in the morning and then back south later...homeward should be ok..going up to st pete will be a pita tho

If you need a spot to camp out or some diesel fuel I can help you out. And that goes for anyone anytime. It took my brother over 12 hours to get to the camp last night because of the traffic. My mother in law is leaving in the morning, I told her to pack a cooler and sleeping bag.

well I appreciate the offer but I think we are better stayin put than if we were to bail. we live 80 miles from mom..probly be an all dayer there and back...she keeps saying she will go to a shelter....I just laugh..she has no idea...she is 79 yrs old...
it would take an awful bad fire for us to leave..thats about all I can think of..like I said..its just a real pita for us..we are prepper ready everyday....just how we live

Traffic isn't to bad on I 95 my mother in law is in Jacksonville right now and moving along fairly good. It took about an hour longer than normal for them to get there.
Gary IDK about your choice, but good luck and stay safe.

Nephew is trying to make their way to Gainesville from plantation. They are stuck in traffic on 75.

Jogeephus":2klq3mdk said:
ALACOWMAN":2klq3mdk said:

With storm surge, here's what happens. It's not the water itself that destroys the structures. The waves in the surge only has to take down the structures nearest the beach. Once that happens, all the debris from the first few rows of homes and business is thrown into the homes further inland...a battering ram effect using everything from propane tanks to refrigerators to furniture, appliances and septic tanks carried by high waves and it's this crap being thrown into structures that causes structural failure for the majority of the homes.

As more and more structures fail street by street or block by block, and their remains each and all become part of the battering ram, eventually, the debris mass will become so heavy the waves can no longer throw it around. Structures past that point usually survive with just water damage.

I saw the results of this on Bolivar peninsula after Hurricane Ike. The flood water/storm surge went far beyond the intracoastal canal, but the debris pile stopped just seaward of the intracoastal.
This is what the debris pile on Galveston looked like. It's close to the beach only because Galveston now has a 17' high seawall. I've read accounts of the great hurricane of 1900 and that storm's debris pile didn't stop until it reached the industrial (bay) side of the island--there was no seawall at that time.

yeah idk..but either way we are as good as we can be..whole house gen is ready ...new metal roof..plenty of everything...flying debris will be my only issue and I do have hurricane film but no boards.
we will be fine..just picking up everything that can fly is a pita.
we made it thru charley a cat 4 in 04 so ...hopin this will be easier even...

ALACOWMAN":3kqy3yea said:
Their predicting it to go through the smokies...hope they slow it down...

I heard this yesterday. Saw it on the track laid out on the news. Surely it will only be a storm at the point it reaches us. I am saying prayers for all you in its path. Please be logical in everything you do.

ClinchValley":1hrsfczh said:
ALACOWMAN":1hrsfczh said:
Their predicting it to go through the smokies...hope they slow it down...

I heard this yesterday. Saw it on the track laid out on the news. Surely it will only be a storm at the point it reaches us. I am saying prayers for all you in its path. Please be logical in everything you do.
It no doubt will..just reminds me of a rocket,that takes awhile to Peter out..

dieselbeef":1pdbi7q8 said:
yeah idk..but either way we are as good as we can be..whole house gen is ready ...new metal roof..plenty of everything...flying debris will be my only issue and I do have hurricane film but no boards.
we will be fine..just picking up everything that can fly is a pita.
we made it thru charley a cat 4 in 04 so ...hopin this will be easier even...
At this point, looks to me like your out of the bullseye for now. Gone from hitting the east coast to the gulf side. Still a day out so it wouldn't surprise me if it misses that even more. But don't let your guard down.

Ummmm,...everyone from Texas to Florida better start watching a little closer. ;-)

1982vett":21nsjqt3 said:
Ummmm,...everyone from Texas to Florida better start watching a little closer. ;-)

Anybody got any good projections for Mobile? Havent really had any luck with that so far. My Mom evacuated from the panhandle to Mobile, but now Im thinking about going to get her out of there as well. figure I need to make that decision sooner rather than later.

CottageFarm":2l3bcgen said:
1982vett":2l3bcgen said:

Anybody got any good projections for Mobile? Havent really had any luck with that so far. My Mom evacuated from the panhandle to Mobile, but now Im thinking about going to get her out of there as well. figure I need to make that decision sooner rather than later.
I figure you better to,if your going...id hate to travel that direction now...it's like the exodus,,and the storm being the Egyptians...

CottageFarm":1gaf44b0 said:
1982vett":1gaf44b0 said:

Right now they predict it going east of Tallahassee about 2 days out, 250 miles east of Mobile.