Irish Angus bulls??

Help Support CattleToday:

Loch Valley Fold":37qmq379 said:
"Can he do it in 3-4 weeks for short calving season????
We have a Jersey bull (16-18mths old at the time) cover 80 cows in 6 weeks poor little buggar we didn't realise we had so many open cows or we would have used the older bull as well. 60 cows biggest majority calved in 4 weeks still have about 10 still to calve

I'll bet that took the wind out of his sails for awhile. :shock:

How long did it take you to wipe the smile off his face? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: He soon worked out that if he came into the bails he would get a feed & he mainted his weight really well he was being fed the same as the cows so no extra treatment. He put up a really good performance when we took him out of the herd & settled right back down again once he went back in with old "bull".

"
I don't doubt it on a jersey. Probably would have bred more except for extremely good fencing. :lol:
Luckily for us he does respect the fencing... unlike the neighbours Angus he came through an electrice & netting fence just to get with the dry cows, top it off decided to have a snot fight through a 3 strand barb fence with the bull we have running with them. That was funny to watch I shifted our fella away over the hill once I got them parted up.

IHman":conofbm1 said:
Ok maybe my neighbor just misunderstood & is thinking they are angus. He did say that you can get a red one but they were sold out. He normally runs red angus bulls on charolais cows. So what makes these bulls able to cover so many cows? Would like to hear some first hand comments. Will check out the website, thanks for the replies everyone.
-

IHman-

It is very easy to become confused by the similar-sounding names of the various beef breeds currently in vogue.

Have you been able to investigate the "Irish Blacks" and "Irish Reds" breed website, and have some of your skeptical assumptions assuaged to your satisfaction?

In My Opinion, the "Irish Blacks" breed is too valuable to the Beef Industry, not only for a purebred program, but one to be utilized in a Terminal operation for a feedlot protocol, to be given a negative connotation undeservedly. The current "Irish Blacks" website (www.irishblacks.com) may be able to help clarify your thinking.

Hope that helps with your future beef planning prospectus. Any fresh idea that may improve the bottom line PROFIT margin of your beef herd is worth investigating!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, yes I have done some research on the Irish Blacks & believe that they very well could have a good hardy breed going there. I am curious as to just what his breeding guaruntee is, as stated on here before any bull could cover 60 cows if you leave them in there long enough. I would like to visit the ranch & get more information first hand from them as well as other owners. I will be seeing one of the Irish Blacks in action on my neighbors cows this summer, guess he bought one and will be here late spring. I personally would not even try to run one bull on that many cows just for the simple fact that things happen. At least with two out there if one goes bad the other should cover em for ya. I am not saying these bulls cant do it, just that I wouldnt want to with any breed. Personal choice I guess.

if i rememeber correctly, the story compares 150 cows with 2 Irish blacks having higher conception than an adjoining pasture with 150 cows covered by 5 Angus bulls of the same age.

I have seen them. they are impressive to look at and Mr Boney has a good thing going. the only thing i was disappointed with was that they werent as consistent visually as i expected.

Aero":2w2yy1y4 said:
if i rememeber correctly, the story compares 150 cows with 2 Irish blacks having higher conception than an adjoining pasture with 150 cows covered by 5 Angus bulls of the same age.

I have seen them. they are impressive to look at and Mr Boney has a good thing going. the only thing i was disappointed with was that they werent as consistent visually as i expected.

I agree they are impressive. Guy Gould showed me the herd. I think he got a little upset when I told him I had no trouble telling them apart. I really do like them, however I have seen them in other herds and they are not all calving ease and they do not all have great dispositions.

I've got some Irish Blacks here in E. Ohio. They are good cattle and very fertile. My Irish Black bull covered 68 commercial cows in a little under 60 days. Only 2 opens & I am sure they were the fault of the individual cows. The Irish Blacks are consistant in type, but not cookie cutters. I have 6 IB heifers to calve this spring, I am very interested in seeing their calves and the calves from the commercial cows. My commercial cows are rainbow colored, the IB bull should throw all black calves. We will see.
ApplachCattle

IHman":3kogqrck said:
Just talked to a neighbor/friend that says he just talked to a fella out in Colorado that sells Irish Angus cattle and claims that one of theses Irish Angus bull can cover 60-70 cows. I have never heard of such a thing. I personally think it is a bunch of BS and wouldnt want to try it, could end up with bunch of open or late cows in the spring. Has anyone on here heard of these bulls or know this guy? I guess he has an add in the Wallaces Farmer magazine. What is makes these Irish bulls different from an Aberdeen Angus?? TIA

Dont know about angus but I know a fella that had an 18 month old simmental bull that he bought back in 03 that was homo black and had nutts the size of a cofee can and he bred 60 cows and settled them all in a 90 day breeding season. So I would not say it is bs so much.

Latest posts