International Tractor 884

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I need a tractor to leave at the farm and was thinking about a International. It would just be used to put out hay and pull a brush hog, batwing, and disk fire lanes and put in food plots for deer. I don't want to spend a lot because it wont be used a lot need around a 80 hp. seems like some of the International are cheaper than others and I do not care what color it is. I seen a 884 with a 4 cyl. perkins that looks pretty good. what do you all think about these tractor or open to other ideas.

thanks KB

Not a bad little utility tractor. Be sure to check that the T/A works and holds under load. If it has a Perkins then it was swapped/adapted in as they came with an IH D-268 German diesel I believe so be sure to check that out. Check that the brakes and parking brake work, it's common for guys to forget the parking brake is on and drive away, chewing up brake material and depositing it in the hydraulics. They are low slung and you kind of sit down in the fenders so when it's hot out you will roast in there.

Our 684 (same basic tractor) was built in the UK, including the engine, but was an IH diesel (can't remember the model offhand)
Yes, check the parking brake, I found them to be weak at the best of times, if they worked properly you'd notice they were on! If you are a flatlander, then you might be able to do with a weak brake.
They have decent hydraulics and are pretty stout tractors.

Are parts still available for them other than going the used route. Nesikep you would probably be familiar with that. I have heard a few horrid stories about no replacement parts.

chevytaHOE5674":1lpcia8l said:
Not a bad little utility tractor. Be sure to check that the T/A works and holds under load. If it has a Perkins then it was swapped/adapted in as they came with an IH D-268 German diesel I believe so be sure to check that out. Check that the brakes and parking brake work, it's common for guys to forget the parking brake is on and drive away, chewing up brake material and depositing it in the hydraulics. They are low slung and you kind of sit down in the fenders so when it's hot out you will roast in there.
the guy says that the engine is factory , what it came out with ????

Then it's not a Perkins. The IH D-268 that it came with is generally pretty good, and will go a lot of hours if well maintained. Have an IH backhoe with a D-239 in it with well over 10k hard hours and the motor still runs like a top (not so much for the rest of the machine lol).

Latest posts