International 1486

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Been looking for a bigger kind of do it all tractor and I found one browsing craigslist. Comes with a bucket, forks, bale spear, and an 18' disc for $15k. Guy says he has 80% tread on the tires and it doesn't burn any oil. Heat and ac work. 4500 hours. Seem fair?

Does it appear that the hours are correct?
I had one of these tractors, they are very strong. But they are terribly unhandy for any work that involves shifting gears or direction. I didn't have a loader on mine, but I suppose if you could get stuff done with one if you weren't in a hurry. Does this tractor have dual pto's? I think that's not a common option with these, most are straight 1000

Our 1486 is awesome, goes 28 mph with the 4 speed turns short. Power like no other, sucks getting in and out of it. No super fun to operate but good unit

Ask him if and when the TA was last worked on. If it's never been worked on, that will be the first point of failure.

Terribly rough riding, hard shifting, user unfriendly loader tractor.

Having said that other than the T/A they are pretty solid tractors that will get the job done day in and day out. Lots around so parts both new and used are easy to come by. Also a lot of knowledge out there when problems do arise.

As Silver said IIRC the 1486 was 1000rpm pto only when new. But by now a majority have been converted to 540/1000 rpm pto. But check to be sure.

All The above are true. Why they didn't just put the 86 style cab with doors that open the right way on the 66 series is a mystery to me. The 66 shifted and rode way better.

Looks like a pretty straight tractor. Dual pto's. I'm less worried about being user friendly and more about something I can afford. It will pretty much be hooked up to a feed grinder 99% of the time and then do some plowing, shredding, and feeding hay in the winter.

5S Cattle said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Ask him if and when the TA was last worked on. If it's never been worked on, that will be the first point of failure.

TA?

Torque Amplifier. Big lever on the left side of the console on 66 series, I assume it's the same on the 86's?

cfpinz said:
5S Cattle said:
sim.-ang.king said:

TA?

Torque Amplifier. Big lever on the left side of the console on 66 series, I assume it's the same on the 86's?

It is the same on the 86's. And an important rule to follow with T/A's is to NEVER use it to slow down.

Also, be sure to regularly check that your axle hub is nice and tight on the axle so as not to end up like me.

1923840_28078512836_2836_n.jpg

Second what everyone else has said about being hard shifting and not handy as a loader tractor, but good cheap hp for a field tractor. Our 1086 is very hard to start in even just cool weather, but maybe it's just this one.

One interesting thing about them is that they have a rotary fuel pump, and as the tractor gets older and the pump wears the horsepower actually goes up. And if you know what you are doing (I don't), you can screw the hp up to whatever you want. I think the engine is a dt436, and is capable of making enough horsepower to do serious damage to the drive train.

Of all the problems listed here, hard starting has never been a problem with any of our 66/86 tractors.

The T/A system was meant to be used. My friends at the dealership say the worst thing in the world for the T/A is to not use it.

2nd what DLD said, it will do you fine for a field tractor.

Latest posts