Interesting Numbers

Help Support CattleToday:

May be a good time to buy steers and wait for the packer prices to drop and live prices to rise. Good hay production this year so not sure if the grass is going to run low/out.

I don't understand the sheet, but we are .15 -.20 lower than the 5 year USDA average here, I realize that includes 2014.

Part of that report was taking into consideration the fire at the Tyson plant in Finney county, Ks. Yes the packers were making a killing from both directions... off the backs of the farmers by the price of fats dropping the max allowed for a couple of days; and by telling the boxed beef buyers that there was going to be a shortage of beef due to reduced kill numbers, and the prices of boxed beef went through the roof. Some may not like him, but if you listen to DV Auctions, Corbitt Wall does a daily thing called "Feeder Flash" and he has commented on it extensively since the fire at the plant nearly 3 weeks ago. The "funny thing" about this is that numbers of fats actually processed is actually up from a year ago.... so the 6,000 head a day lost that were processed at the Tyson plant did not cause a "shortage of beef"....

We are getting screwed and R-Calf has actually filed a lawsuit against the Packers under the packers and stockyards act due to collusion and price fixing because of the monopoly by the 4 "big companies" that now control over 80% of the kill facilities. Think Ma Bell, and how they had to divest of all the "baby bells" because of having a monopolistic stranglehold on the phone systems in this country. Now there are a bunch of phone companies. Not saying it is all better, but the "big 4" have been buying up and absorbing so many smaller labels and the little independent guy cannot make it because they "manage to fix" the prices so that the smaller companies have to compete on an uneven playing field. NCBA is giving them lip service, but aren't in this for the cattleman in the long run. R-Calf is one of the only groups that is actually trying to help the small and independent cattleman. If you don't want the beef industry to go all the way over to the hog and chicken models, support the groups that are actually fighting to support you.

Stocker Steve said:
"No collusion" but the packers probably take turns bidding. :nod:

Down here some barns the buyers all have breakfast together and explain to eachother what they are going to buy and pay for the day

Stocker Steve said:
I have no saled cattle at one local barn. The other guarantees reputation cattle. How often do you see a no sale?
Not very often, but I've had the rep come to me and say, "well she's limping" or some such , when she wasn't when loaded,and I just tell them ok "I'll take her home", usually their insurance covers it. wink wink

We have had our cattle "no saled".... we just bid on them and they get knocked off to us and then the check will show as a no sale. We never take anything to the sale barn unless either my son or I can be there to watch. Did have a friend that was a buyer who would sometimes watch for us. We have taken home steers that were "give away" because they were the wrong color and that day there just weren't the buyers there, we took home a cull cow that was fine when she got off the trailer and came in limping because another cow was a bully and was ramming other cows in the pen. Had a couple of times early on that we got a check and there was a ridiculously low price paid for something and got really really p.oed.... so this way we know what went in, and if it isn't right when it comes into the ring, we don't have to sell it. Doesn't happen alot, but not going to give something away because a buyer was able to steal it for no good reason. We can sell on the rail, so have had a few that were sore footed that we sold that way and got more than we might have at the live sale, but we have to haul them an hour to meet the truck that takes them to the plant to kill.

Latest posts