Interesting Conversation Today

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog

Reaction score
So I had a guy come pick up our calves to bring to the sale barn today and went bring my grandfather his ticket. While visiting we got on the subject of how long he has had cows. He started when he was 24 years old when his dad gave him a milk cow for his family and he bought one to help keep the grass down. That was 68 years ago! He is 92 now and doesn't get out the house much, but he still owns heads in the pasture. Although I've been around his herd all my life, I'm 34 and have owned cows for myself for 3 years now when he gave me my first heifer. I never really knew when he started, but now I do. :mrgreen:

That is pretty cool. I never really thought about it before, but I don't remember when I got my first one. (I'm 54.)

A wealth of knowledge there. Use it, but even more important make his feel like you are listening.
I have had cattle for over 50 years. From bottle calves to registered stock and almost anything in between. Even tried goats for a while. :oops:

Kenny,

I listen every time he speaks. There are some things I don't agree with, but I still listen. He has a cow in the pasture that he's had to help her birth every year. I'm trying my hardest to send her to the sale barn. Today I spoke with him again about her and told him that he can get a little more money for her if he sold her bred (which she is) than if she has a calf. I know what he wants, another heifer, but I was fortunate to be home for lunch when she calved back in January.

I also learned that my great-grandfather and great-greatgrandfather were both cattle owners. I was a young kid when my great-grandfather was alive, but never really got to follow him. I know very little about my great-great grandfather other than what my cousin has found some stuff on him.

Of my grandparents 14 or so grandchildren, I am the only one that has any interest in cows or keeping something in the family like this going. My grandfather and great-grandfather were never "big" cattlemen. At most they may have had a combined herd of 24 or less, if that much honestly. I think my great-great grandfather may have had many more head, but I've yet to find anything on him. I do know he had cows back when they free ranged cattle and owed a lot of property, but he was also a sugarcane farmer too. That was back when they harvest by hand and a mule pulled the cart.

Latest posts