insurance ?

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire":2axjhy8g said:
I admire you and I wish we had more people like you. However, he already knows the job does not have insurance (see original post). He does not need to go back to ask again, until he finds out if his store empoyees are covered. With me?

Sounds to me like he is interested in the job but concerned about insurance coverage for his family. I think it would be worth a direct conversation with the employer about that and seeing if he can negotiate to have some sort of insurance included in the written offer.

If the answer is no, he looks elsewhere or gets his own, if possible. One thing that is tempting is to convince yourself you don't need insurance. Young healthy people sometimes do that. Not good. Kids can come down with something in a heart beat, like calves!

I think it is worth a face to face discussion with the employer emphasizing the good job he is going to do managing this place and caring for the house etc along with his need for insurance for him, his wife and his family. I would not infer that insurance is impossible. Ask for what you want. If the answer is still no, you say goodbye and look elsewhere. jmho.

If you can't afford a health care policy, you might want to just get a "major medical" policy for your family. That will at least cover you for a hospital visit just in case. There are several companies out there that provide them, Blue Cross, United Healthcare, Golden Rule, to name a few.

Thanks for the answers please keep them coming if you have more info. In just thought about this today. If I were to work for this man wouldn't he need some kind of insurance for me since I'm working on his farm with his equipment etc.? I know that is covered by something but I can't think of what I'm trying to think of.

cattlepower":wjgycopu said:
Thanks for the answers please keep them coming if you have more info. In just thought about this today. If I were to work for this man wouldn't he need some kind of insurance for me since I'm working on his farm with his equipment etc.? I know that is covered by something but I can't think of what I'm trying to think of.

That would be accident insurance not necesaarily health insurance. But there is a possibility that there is a health insurace available through his milk co-op/buyer

dun":2kqvxkg5 said:
cattlepower":2kqvxkg5 said:

That would be accident insurance not necesaarily health insurance. But there is a possibility that there is a health insurace available through his milk co-op/buyer

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "milk co-op/buyer"?

cattlepower":1w3gjs8k said:
dun":1w3gjs8k said:
cattlepower":1w3gjs8k said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "milk co-op/buyer"?

I was thinking if it's a dairy or he marketed his product through a co-op.

That would be accident insurance not necesaarily health insurance. But there is a possibility that there is a health insurace available through his milk co-op/buyer[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "milk co-op/buyer"?[/quote]

I was thinking if it's a dairy.[/quote]

It's beef cattle, sorry

cattlepower":2qmmacmv said:
In just thought about this today. If I were to work for this man wouldn't he need some kind of insurance for me since I'm working on his farm with his equipment etc.? I know that is covered by something but I can't think of what I'm trying to think of.
He should be paying into workers comp (or whatever it might be called today). He probably does have accident insurance for the farm, but it is designed to protect himself more so than his employees. Neither of which is going to do you any good if you if you get ill or get injured anywhere other than while you are performing duties related to your job. Neither will cover your family.

1982vett":cvgpylhg said:
cattlepower":cvgpylhg said:
In just thought about this today. If I were to work for this man wouldn't he need some kind of insurance for me since I'm working on his farm with his equipment etc.? I know that is covered by something but I can't think of what I'm trying to think of.
He should be paying into workers comp (or whatever it might be called today). He probably does have accident insurance for the farm, but it is designed to protect himself more so than his employees. Neither of which is going to do you any good if you if you get ill or get injured anywhere other than while you are performing duties related to your job. Neither will cover your family.

Vett brings up another good point - this employer may want you to be a "Contractor" rather than an employee because then you are not even covered by Workman's Compensation which is extremely important in an agricultural job. jmho.

SRBeef, I'm thinking he would have to be classified as an employee rather than contract labor. He said he will be living in housing provided by his employer. If the employer directs him in the chores to be performed and how to do them, has set hours to work, and is provided tools and equipment necessary to do his duties, he should be hired labor. Doesn't mean he won't be taken advantage of and miss classified. Happens a lot since most people don't know the rules or are willing to ignore them. But again, depending on the situation, he may well be hired under a contract and given authority to make the decisions in running the farm/ranch/or whatever. Kind of like throwing darts blindfolded since we really don't know the details. Another thought on being a contractor that you already made, an employer hiring a person as contract labor wouldn't be obligated to provide health insurance. They wouldn't pay into social security either.

1982vett":udq45xzt said:
SRBeef, I'm thinking he would have to be classified as an employee rather than contract labor. He said he will be living in housing provided by his employer. If the employer directs him in the chores to be performed and how to do them, has set hours to work, and is provided tools and equipment necessary to do his duties, he should be hired labor. Doesn't mean he won't be taken advantage of and miss classified. Happens a lot since most people don't know the rules or are willing to ignore them. But again, depending on the situation, he may well be hired under a contract and given authority to make the decisions in running the farm/ranch/or whatever. Kind of like throwing darts blindfolded since we really don't know the details. Another thought on being a contractor that you already made, an employer hiring a person as contract labor wouldn't be obligated to provide health insurance. They wouldn't pay into social security either.

He will provide a housing allowance not actual housing.

Latest posts