Insurance on Cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
Does anyone know a ball park figure on what it would cost me to insure my cattle for liability only? I have 4 cows, a bull, and 1 calf. I don't own any land myself. I keep all of my cows on my families land so I don't know if this would be considered leased land or what. Thanks!

Ask hook, he has insurance on his cause when he quit smoking he got mad and shot his bull( hook quit smoking not the bull)
Not sure if he collected insurance but that bull didnt bother him again :D

I had a few get out on a very busy curvy road today due to a rotten fence post so it kind of motivated me to look into the liability insurance. Lol I'm sure hook will run across this.

cross_7":1mg3zcvr said:
Ask hook, he has insurance on his cause when he quit smoking he got mad and shot his bull( hook quit smoking not the bull)
Not sure if he collected insurance but that bull didnt bother him again :D
:lol:
I didn't shoot the bull but I sure was tempted.
Mortality insurance will run you about 250/yr but its a joke unless you have a big loss from an event like lightning or such. Most liability policies are carried under an Umbrella policy so it's hard to say exactly what the true cost is

j&lfarms":3tgwqvm2 said:
Does anyone know a ball park figure on what it would cost me to insure my cattle for liability only? I have 4 cows, a bull, and 1 calf. I don't own any land myself. I keep all of my cows on my families land so I don't know if this would be considered leased land or what. Thanks!

A farm policy will cover your general liability in regard to the cows getting out. Mine is determined by acreage. Won't pay for the loss of the animal. If they are added to a schedule of items to be covered for loss, ballpark would be 2.50 per thousand depending on deductable.

j&lfarms":rzsjxpel said:
I had a few get out on a very busy curvy road today due to a rotten fence post so it kind of motivated me to look into the liability insurance. Lol I'm sure hook will run across this.

Most Insurers here would never entertain a liability claim where that insured has not exercised 'due care' to keep animals fenced in, if they got out because of a rotten fence post it would most likely be seen as negligence on your part. Maybe it's different over there....

If you have a homeowners policy you should be able to add a farm liability endorsement. Should cost very little this way. Otherwise a farm liability policy is what it will take. Haven't dealt with them in years but would guess maybe $200 or less for a small operation. Not all companies will write farm liability. If your current carrier will not I would check with Farm Bureau. Liability insurance is what gives you protection from acts of negligence such as leaving a gate open or failure to maintain a fence.

mines with F B its an umbrella under farm policy and homeowners I think its about $90 for less than a 100 head. that is just liability nothing on the animal.

I've heard nation wide has excellent farm insurance but if you don't own the land you may have to have whom ever does look into switching everything to them. I looked into this last week and found out that if my dad moved our farm insurance from FB to nation wide we could have coverage on the cattle incase of death. They won't write just a cattle policy they have to have your farm also.

fitz":10z51w9z said:
j&lfarms":10z51w9z said:

A farm policy will cover your general liability in regard to the cows getting out. Mine is determined by acreage. Won't pay for the loss of the animal. If they are added to a schedule of items to be covered for loss, ballpark would be 2.50 per thousand depending on deductable.

Ditto

I have my farm covered with American Farmers and Ranchers Mutual ,AFR, it is with my home coverage It covers some of my hay that is in the open if it catches on fire 2250.00 for 18.00 per year,a dozer that is at the farm 30000.00 for 130.00 per year,cattle is 9.00 per head for a 1600.00 coverage per head cattle is a 500.00 deductible ,not per cow but total loss, the liability if some one hits a cow is liability 500000.00 medical 5000.00 I had both of these increased due to other assets. Also have another tractor thats covered,it is good for up to 640 acres and land can be in more than one place as long as I don't go over 640 acres if I need to add a place , say I lease something , I call them with the legal and its added on buy more cattle call and add them on. I think it is a pretty good deal myself, sure someone on here will tell how crazy it is,I know a man that had 12 cows killed under one tree from lightning and others that had 1 or 2. We have some real storms here in Oklahoma but the main reason I have it is for the liability

alisonb":27asp0jy said:
j&lfarms":27asp0jy said:

Most Insurers here would never entertain a liability claim where that insured has not exercised 'due care' to keep animals fenced in, if they got out because of a rotten fence post it would most likely be seen as negligence on your part. Maybe it's different over there....

Well when the fence post was actually a tree, it's kind of hard to tell when the roots of the tree become rotted from the ground up. Especially when the leaves of the tree was still green. I excercise 'due care' atleast once a week by walking my fences and I also check my cows nearly every day. I think I take the proper precautions against things like this, but if you show me a farmer who hasn't ever had a cow out, I will very quickly show you a liar.

IMO, everyone who has an agricultural operation of any size should talk to their insurance agent and weigh risks/costs/benefits of appropriate liability coverage. It's sad but we live in a "sue happy" society today. Just the way it is.

IIRC, my $1M umbrella farm liability policy from State Farm costs around $200 annually. This is an additional cost on top of my automobile liability coverage and includes all available discounts.

John SD":3e0adzcj said:
IIRC, my $1M umbrella farm liability policy from State Farm costs around $200 annually. This is an additional cost on top of my automobile liability coverage and includes all available discounts.

Is that just liability? or will it cover tractors and ect...

Thanks for the input everyone.

Alison, I wasn't trying to be rude. I just often have to back up the things I do with my cows because I'm only 17. Obviously I have tons more to learn, but I'm not clueless like some people seem to suggest.

we have some cows on a family members land and have them covered with liability from State Farm $250,000 runs $75 a year

j&lfarms":1ojl4mpk said:
because I'm only 17.

Sounds to me like your a smart young man , trying to think ahead. I know some people that is twice your age that would not even think about things like you are till it to late and the problem has already hit.

By day I'm an insurance agent. You can add farm liability to your homeowners insurance by endorsement 2 ways. Incidental farm liability if you have a farm exposure on the premises which you live. Comprehensive farm liability if extensive farm exposure and away from the premises which you live. Running cattle on your property that you live on, and leasing property elsewhere would require both endorsements.

A person could purchase a farm General Liability for all locations separate from the Homeowners. This might cost a little more, but you could avoid a surcharge on your home insurance if you have a claim.

All this probably varies some state to state and company to company.

Latest posts