Injured calf

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a 2 week old bull calf that was injured the other day when a cow stepped on his rear upper leg in the muscle area (in a person I would call it the thigh) It appears that the muscles were maybe shoved forward or injured because they are swelled quite a bit. Also the calf carries the injured leg when he walks. He will put it-the hoof of the injured leg on the ground if you hurry him up by getting behind him. I am hoping because he is so young that time will heal this problem. I was just wondering what everyone else thinks or would do to maybe aid the healing process. TIA

your calf would be hard to guess whats wrong with his leg.id say with the sweklling an not putting weight on the leg.that it could be broken above the knee.an if thats the case you might set the leg.scott

As in anything else, there are several important things to look for in an injury like this, let me list a few shall we?

Feel for the following:

feel for pulse in the lower extremity, to be sure blood is still properly circulating, if you cannot feel around for a pulse, at least feel the temp. of the leg, if it matches the approx. temp of any of the others, it should be ok.

feel for any broken bones, this should be fairly easy to notice if broken completely, as you may feel the bone ends, or jagged edges within the muscles. manipulate the leg in several postitions, if it swings freely, and you can move it into an unnatural position with little or no resistance, it may be broken.

If broken, you must decide between, euthanasia, home repair, or the best, vet call.

if NOT broken, it very likely can still have severe ligament, and or muscle damage, control swelling with banamine, or if you are a newbee, which i suspect and don't have such meds on hand, then some ice, and or aspirin, yes human asprin, but ONLY if there is NO bleeding internally, otherwise aspirin will cause the blood NOT to clot so easily, and the swelling will get worse.

Isolate calf either with momma only or if bottle baby then by itself or with another of his own age, weight, etc. for companionship.

As swelling goes down, begin some physical therapy...yes. it is a must to prevent that leg from atrophy..

Good luck. :cboy: Medic out!

Latest posts