Injecting bales

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
Got some hay that we had trouble getting up early in season... Wondering if anybody has injected bales to try and salvage some feed quality? Cattle go after it? This hay is prob the equivalent of straw if I had to guess. Just looking for thoughts or experience. Thanks

We bought some hay that tested low protein (8%). I have talked with our mill, and they can bring out some liquid feed to pour on the bales. I was told to take about 8 gallons per 1000 pound bale, and flip the bale on it's side, and pour the feed over the bale. It will slowly seep through the bale and essentially make the bale so tasty nothing will be wasted. We plan on trying this when we go on hay in the next 30 days. We have a huge liquid storage tub, I think about 250 gallons. So my thinking is fill a bucket and pour the bale and plop it in the hay feeder.... I like to keep thinks simple.... So we will see how well this works!

Well you're stuck with the hay. But I'd put the liquid feed in a lick tank and let them lick it. They'll go to the hay and fill up. May have a lot of waste but just never liked the idea of putting something on or in hay to make them eat it.

TexasBred":16nawf02 said:
Well you're stuck with the hay. But I'd put the liquid feed in a lick tank and let them lick it. They'll go to the hay and fill up. May have a lot of waste but just never liked the idea of putting something on or in hay to make them eat it.
That would require buying a lick tank.... Not a cheap option out here. I am not set on the liquid yet, I am weighing the options of putting out vitaferm tubs (20% protein with a bag of conceptaide in each tub)......

Fire Sweep Ranch":2kfx3v1p said:
TexasBred":2kfx3v1p said:
That would require buying a lick tank.... Not a cheap option out here. I am not set on the liquid yet, I am weighing the options of putting out vitaferm tubs (20% protein with a bag of conceptaide in each tub)......
FSR does Vitaferm make a molasses based tub yet? Last ones I saw where those "Power Kegs" (I think that was the name) Seems they were DDG based and had a cardboard wrapper.

TexasBred":1mug9byg said:
Disregard previous message. Looks like they do make an excellent tub.

http://vitaferm.com/products/vitaferm-powr-lyk-tub/

I looked into both TB, and did a bunch of research. Seems the only difference in the molasses tub and the pressed tub is Magnesium. Both are 20% protein, both contain a full bag of vitaferm, both assume the same consumption. Here is the difference in price (around here): $90 for the pressed tub (PowerKeg), $120 for the cooked tub. I am cheap enough to see that is a huge difference when I have 30 plus cows on them. So, I am trying the Power Keg right now in my bull pasture (2 bulls, one is a Jan and one a March) and a group of heifers with the other Keg (9 heifers). Both pastures have no mineral feeder, so I thought I would give it a try to get the mineral to the group. They have been in there for some time now (a least a month, maybe two by now) and both are still there (about half gone on one and 1/4 gone on the other). The cattle have ripped the cardboard off, but the keg is holding together just fine. So, IF i choose to go that route (which, might be cheaper than the liquid feed additive when you figure I do not have to buy the mineral while they are on the tub, but keep out salt as usual) I will try to let you know.

I'm feeding some 2 year old hay this year . Barn stored and never wet .. I haven't tested it but judging from the manure piles its not good .. I've been putting out mix 30 in the old PVm tubs for about 3 weeks. Cows seem more energetic bucking and kicking even the ones that are pulled down .. I planted 20 acres of ryegrass that the poor cows and pairs will go on in late january .I chose mix 30 because you can feed it in open top containers .. You might give it a look .

Fire Sweep Ranch":11ej8wgh said:
TexasBred":11ej8wgh said:

None of the suppliers in my area sell the lick tanks. They let you use them at no charge if you buy the molasses from them. Molasses is expensive as are the solid lick tubs so maybe that's where they are making up for the "no fee" lick tanks. "All-in-one" 200 lb. tubs go for about $80/tub and I don't know what the liquid sells for. I tried the liquid one year, had 6 lick tanks and the nurse truck came out about every 4 weeks to refill. Seems like I paid around $1500 every time the truck rolled up.

Rural King sells 200lb 24% tubs for $47.00. And the last ones I bought came in nice plastic buckets.

ram":2tg75bzf said:
Rural King sells 200lb 24% tubs for $47.00. And the last ones I bought came in nice plastic buckets.

Sounds about right. The "All-in-one" tubs are medicated which makes them a little more expensive. And you're right about the plastic tubs except now I'm getting a little over run by them. ;-)

ram":2wze06ez said:
ram that sounds a lot like the original tubs that came out years ago and you could buy them then for around $28. Nothing wrong with them other than consumption is usually around 4 lbs per day and they are very soft. Not nearly the quality of the newer cooked tubs.

I put 4 tubs out a few years ago and could tell in a day that tubs weren't going to work for me. I asked the salesman about the high consumption rate. And his reply was to buy more and they'll start to eat less once they get acclimated to the tubs. Grinding feed is the most cost effective way to supplement poor hay. IMO

I never liked the idea of juicing bales either. Guy I worked for would soak the bales with molasses. The cattle got spoiled on it. If they are hungry they will eat it. Make up ythe protein with other feed if need be IMO.

ram":2jnw6hpp said:
I put 4 tubs out a few years ago and could tell in a day that tubs weren't going to work for me. I asked the salesman about the high consumption rate. And his reply was to buy more and they'll start to eat less once they get acclimated to the tubs. Grinding feed is the most cost effective way to supplement poor hay. IMO

That may or may not have worked but he is right. If you plop one down mid winter they will destroy it vs keeping them out year round.

Everybody and his brother makes the lick tubs. I use the tubs that I can get locally. Here is the link to the company I use. http://www.pf4feed.com/productdetail.html?pid=aio. I have also questioned the high consumption rate and talked to my local vet about it. What I was told is cattle are not like humans in that they will eat what they NEED to eat and not a lick more. So if I put out 1200 lbs/month and it is all consumed then maybe thats what they need. The "all in one" from PF is a cooked molasses and is 30% protein. I have had very good results from feeding it but I do not feed it all year. I use it as a supplement to hay in the winter. My animals do not go down as much as my neighbors cattle in the winter who don't feed a supplement. I like the stuff and will continue to use it as long as I can afford it.

TexasBred":3jjl678f said:

That's the way I'm doing it and looks to be working out fine.

The problem I have with the big troughs with wheels is the limiter is not very good if it has it at all. Cattle will go to what tastes the best for their protein. They will hang out there rather than going to other sources of protein that may not be as tasty.

At the end of the day I don't mind doing a little bit of supplementing but there are people who go overboard. There are very few thing I keep out non-stop. I don't want the cattle getting too use to some thing. They need to get out and hustle up what they can.

Latest posts