Informed Judges

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
One of the biggest things that peeves me at shows is judges that make assumptions without even bother to ask questions. I was at a show this past week, and in a class of females (in both the open and youth shows) that were born Jan-Apr '06 (roughly 30 months) there was a female that happened to be the only one without a calf at side (out of 7 or 8 entries). The female was placed last in both shows, and the primary reason for placing by both judges was that she was not in production yet. Little did they know that the young female had already weaned her first calf, because she got bred early, and was already a few months bred for her second calf. It wouldnt be that bad if she belonged down at the bottom, but she is a female that has won many shows in her short, 2-year career, she was World Junior Champion Female last year actually.

I thought it was really unprofessional and sorry of the judges to do that, without asking questions. I lost a lot of respect for one of the judges after that (and the other i didnt care for at all anyways). I've judged a few shows and I make a habit to ask about reproduction on all females over 15 months old, and bulls closer to 2 years old.

Any others have similar experiences or thoughts?

Ryan

I have not had the experience with calves or goats, but I agree with you....the judges I have seen ask.

Hmm.. that is odd.. not once, but twice! Whenever I've shown with a cow / calf pair or in that age group, the judge has always asked! Funny though.. a few years back a judge placed an unbred heifer in a class of pairs, by ASSUMING the heifer had already weaned a calf! Same mistake, should have asked to be sure.

If it had been me, I would have told the judge after the class... not to change anything of course, but perhaps he didn't think to ask. Maybe next time he'll remember and do so!

TheBullLady":2d87jrcp said:
If it had been me, I would have told the judge after the class... not to change anything of course, but perhaps he didn't think to ask. Maybe next time he'll remember and do so!

I'm the same, I would have found the judge after the show. The owner of the above female did find the judges. I heard the first judge kind of was at a loss for words for a second, then got really defensive and starting bringing negatives of the cow in which he proceeded to contradict himself from what he had said in class. Sounds like he just started stating random negatives to help himself out.

I would not call this a regular occurance, but it is far too common (actually, once is too common). I guess it happens 2 - 4 times a show year.

Latest posts