Feedback from judges: great profile, terrible butt

Help Support CattleToday:

Supertrace

Reaction score
So we've got a simbrah/angus cross who is 10 months old. We are feeding him for a major show in March. He weighed in at 995 this past weekend.

The comments from judges was unanimous - very level, has the advantage over all in his profile but his butt is way too narrow.

Is this solely genetics or can we supplement this to be wider? Anything you would recommend as a supplement or exercise to widen his butt?

We feed Purina Fitters Edge Feed
Coastal Hay
Champion Drive Supplement
and Depth Charge.

Any tips are appreciated! Some have told us to add steamed crimped corn to the feed, a pound a day, also to exercise him, etc.

Thank you!

It is due to genetics. If he looks pinched from the rear, he may not get much thicker.

When you look for a calf for a show steer, you want one yhat is born with the meat so to speak.

Supertrace":wwaepb01 said:
So we've got a simbrah/angus cross who is 10 months old. We are feeding him for a major show in March. He weighed in at 995 this past weekend.

The comments from judges was unanimous - very level, has the advantage over all in his profile but his butt is way too narrow.

Is this solely genetics or can we supplement this to be wider? Anything you would recommend as a supplement or exercise to widen his butt?

Coastal Hay
and Depth Charge.

Any tips are appreciated! Some have told us to add steamed crimped corn to the feed, a pound a day, also to exercise him, etc.

Thank you!
Can't help you in this regard, but heard about the same comment from the steer judge at Burleson County Fair last night. They had some really nice Brangus, Braford and Angus there, and a good judge imo. He was definitely giving negs for the narrow rear ends.
Had one that really looked good standing, but when walked around, he was so overfinished he could hardly move, and didn't make the top 5. I think blue ribbon went to a red brangus but he sure looked to have some Charalais, as he was more cream colored than red. Maybe the light color from the Brahma came out-- Kinda hard to tell from where I was sitting.

They had one pen of nice baldie heifers in the barns, everything else was brangus, braford or angus--no Herefords, no Charalais, no Simmental, which surprised me for that area. There used to be lots of hereford cattle raised when I lived just west of Caldwell.

greybeard":2p49wfkk said:
Supertrace":2p49wfkk said:

Coastal Hay
and Depth Charge.

Thank you!
Can't help you in this regard, but heard about the same comment from the steer judge at Burleson County Fair last night. They had some really nice Brangus, Braford and Angus there, and a good judge imo. He was definitely giving negs for the narrow rear ends.
Had one that really looked good standing, but when walked around, he was so overfinished he could hardly move, and didn't make the top 5. I think blue ribbon went to a red brangus but he sure looked to have some Charalais, as he was more cream colored than red. Maybe the light color from the Brahma came out-- Kinda hard to tell from where I was sitting.

They had one pen of nice baldie heifers in the barns, everything else was brangus, braford or angus--no Herefords, no Charalais, no Simmental, which surprised me for that area. There used to be lots of hereford cattle raised when I lived just west of Caldwell.

There was a Hereford breeder in Caldwell, Roy Hermann. He had nice stock.

Latest posts