info on new txlonghorncoop

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
i am trying to get info out there about this coop..and this will fall under the "dissemination of information"... grins

-----------------

i don't know about anybody else but i have used a local salebarn in the past as my "culling tool" for my herd.... however.... i really hate the fact that in using this avenue i'm am essentialy raped on my "longhorn animal".

here i have spent time and monies to produce a good animal... but need a way to market my excess bulls/steers and any older breeding stock that have finished their useful life with me...

i do believe i have found a "viable" way to do this... a friend of mine was surfing the net one day and ran across this... and i researched it and called this coop up.... and do believe that they have hit upon an ideal solution for our lower end animals...

...and also a market for unregistered animals that for some reason or other are in our herds... and need a job in order to stick around..like to produce calves that will buy hay for the rest of the herd. grins

ok... to the point here.... the web site of this coop is http://www.txlonghorncoop.org and the "General Manager" that has all the info is named "George Slayton" he and several other longhorn people have gotten together to address the problem of what to do with the bottom end of the longhorns....and in doing so, to get a reasonable price for them.

george and group have already gotten an "USDA Certified Label", insurance on this label... a USDA approved processing plant to work with... and a grocery chain that is excited about the "longhorn lean" product that we have.

and "we as longhorn breeders together in this coop" can supply what the market is looking for with "grass-fed" longhorns.

IMPORTANT NOTE: the txlonghorncoop is the "Coordinator" between us and the buyers of our beef products. (the coop is not buying our animals from us, but are helping/coordinating with us to market our beef and beef products in a legal and safe manner).

we have the animals and are the supply.... this coop has the label...the "product liability insurance"... the certifications... the USDA approved slaughterhouse, a means of packaging the meat for resale, and thru them (the coop) we have access to a steady buyers like the "Central Market Grocery Chain" which is one link in this chain with high interest from other stores as futher potential.

this is a niche market out there that is willing to pay $4.25 per lb. for wholesale and retail would be $5.25 or higher with kosher market going for $6.80 -wholesale (as of nov 5, 2007 email)

this niche market is looking for 98% lean .....and that is just the bottom end of our meat products and they want our under 30 moa steaks, roasts, etc. good hides and horns are needed too!

if we are able to supply animals that are under 30 months of age, and totally fit the newest discription of "grass-fed beef" (which is now zero percent grain fed as of 11/15/07) then the potential for even more monies goes up.... and if we are able to get a "kosher" label... then our longhorn meat products will be worth another 30%.

this means straight/fullblood longhorns are needed for the under 30 months of age group.... but also over 30 months of age group. of course the under 30 months of age group cattle have a higher value than the over 30 moa group would... but the point is, both groups are needed and wanted. and we have it... grins

in order to make this work... we will need a "village attitude" (i.e. it takes a village to raise a child... transfer that simple idea over to "it takes the members of the longhorn world to make this work"...

what does this mean for us as an individual and an industry?

it means we now have a reasonable market for the bottom end of our cattle...we go to the tx longhorn coop and pay them to process our animal... the beef products that our animals produce can then be labeled with the Coop's Certified USDA label, and we can put them in our own website store as RAF has done, and legally sell that meat to our own customers that we have already built up... or use the txlonghorn coop's online store and their contacts for both wholesale and retail customers there... (we get paid by the pound for what our animal produces)

or if we get enough members together and let george coordinate with the "Central Market" grocery chain we will have a ready buyer of our own beef products that is processed with this "txlonghorncoop" of Rice, Texas.

this means our low end animals have value... we have a ready market that needs our low end animals... this will in effect help us use our most valuable tool for our herds.. which is culling... and will raise the value of our animals overall... after all, if our low end longhorns have a job... this will raise their value overall.

can a few individuals do this? no... that has been tried in the past... and that is why they failed...

how can this be different this time?

to me, the itla association and it's members which are about 1,000 to 1,200 active members (i called and asked)... the tlbaa members which are 4,500 to 5,000 active... ctlr has members, and the other people who have longhorns and raise them even tho they don't register them..

...if we were to have an overall average of 3 longhorn a year for the coop and the "grass fed program" that would/could give the potential of 15,000 to 18,000 animals in one years time and could/would significantly improve the quality of the remaining registered animals in no time at all.

the key is "together as a village we have the power to do this"... without the village it won't be done...

--------

NOTE: one thing about that george told me about his meeting with the "marketing guy" from Central Market... "this guy asked george if he would promise to not give up on this"... that he was excited about the longhorn and it's beef products... and that we as longhorn cattle people have a valuable product.. and our time has come!

------------

http://www.txlonghorncoop.org for "Certified Natural Grass-Fed Longhorn Beef"

there are a few simple guidelines and rules that we would need to follow for the "natural grass-fed beef"... but we would no longer be raped at our local sale barns... this has a very high potential to go national if we are able to get the "village together" on this.

respectfully,

sandy martin
[email protected]
806-205-1235

george slayton
903-326-4069

tell george sandy sent ya! grins

Great marketing.A real bonus for the breeders. My hats off to you guys. I'll be interested in seeing how it works out. Even thouhg I prefer british grain fed beef. Somethin for everbody and new ways to get it into their hands. Ait life great

glad you like it... much thought and planning has gone into this...

this is a membership driven coop... we need members to make it work... whether you have 1-3 animals or have more to contribute in a year's time...

together as a village we can do this!

this txlonghorncoop will be bringing another one or two labels to the coop table when this grass fed label is up and running.

(so even if you can't do the grass fed part... we have in the works two additional labels to address this issue, and you could/would fit into one of the other two labels that are planned. by signing/joining up now, you will help the other two labels come into being that much faster.)

if you are truly interested in this, please join... please be part of this village..

i am now on the board of directors (bill's wife, sandy) so if you have any questions feel free to p.m. bill's addy... and we will give you more info.

yes, there are plans in place to go nationwide with this... and by having members in place nationwide we as a village can grow to do this...

the buyers are there... will you be part of the supply to make this work?

(this means that by being part of the txlonghorncoop.org will have the opportunity to make 40-60% more off of their longhorns that what they can make at their local sale barn...these are the figures that are projected today... they could go higher with time.

note:
this percentage is after the animal has paid it's bills... not before.)

please contact:

george slayton
who is the general manager:

[email protected]

or sandy martin
[email protected]

http://www.txlonghorncoop.org/images/me ... packet.pdf

Latest posts