Info on Cooking a steak

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":10g37a8y said:
A little course ground pepper, course ground salt and a little lowery season salt is all you need
I have heard of some people using a concoction called steak sauce on them after they are cooked I don't know if this is the truth but it is what I have been told in my house that would get ya hung

Except for the seasoned salt and the pepper you've got it right! Minute and a half on one side a minute on the other then chase it into the house to eat it.

dun":y5p7t1bo said:
Except for the seasoned salt and the pepper you've got it right! Minute and a half on one side a minute on the other then chase it into the house to eat it.

Or.... just rip of the horns and wipe the but and he's ready to eat! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

grannysoo":1iphj7zz said:
dun":1iphj7zz said:

Or.... just rip of the horns and wipe the but and he's ready to eat! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

You left out "chase him through the kitchen".

"Most" of the chef's I deal with when using Choice or better meat will use only sea salt and coarse ground blk pepper JUST prior to grilling.

Personally I prefer to also add a bit of garlic powder and freshly crushed basil leaves about 15 min before grilling. I had a chinese chef show me the complimentary nature of beef and basil a few years ago and came to like it a lot. Doesn't mean it works for everyone. I also perfer to add most of the salt after it's cooked it retains more moisture. It's also not a bad idea to let the steak rest for a bit like a roast so that the juices can redistribute themselves before serving.

One other method used by some better chefs is a DREDGE. Instead of a marinade you make a dredging solution. It's pretty simple just start with an olive oil base,not EVOO, add to taste; sea salt, blk pepper, finely chopped fresh basil, or crushed dry basil, granulated garlic or pwdered ( you can use fresh crushed but it can burn and get very bitter, and a bit of worchestershire. Mix it up well and simply dredge the steak thru it on both sides shake off the excess and slap it on a hot surface of your choice. BTW the "purists" insist on only charcoal

I agree that choice and better steak need nothing more then a little salt and pepper and a plate.
Even on a cow that has good condition I have a hard time boning and grinding the top steak cuts. Got good flavor just chewy.
I'm going to try this recipe today on cow T bones, I'll let you know.
We do have prime T bones also, so I do know what to compare it to.

Well I tried this recipe. Cow rib steak. Young 2 1/2 year old.

50 minutes with sea salt, rinsed well and dried well. Then on the full flame gas grill.

Results. Surprisingly tender, NO need to add more salt. Fresh ground pepper was nice. Sure not as tasty as my prime stuff.
Wish I would have had some steak sauce. I NEVER use steak sauce on my prime steaks.

But that's a good thing. We sure don't want all that imported stuff to taste as good as our high quality stuff with just this simple recipe.

3waycross":273rllsk said:
One other method used by some better chefs is a DREDGE. Instead of a marinade you make a dredging solution. It's pretty simple just start with an olive oil base,not EVOO, add to taste; sea salt, blk pepper, finely chopped fresh basil, or crushed dry basil, granulated garlic or pwdered but also montreal steak spice. Mix it up well and simply dredge the steak thru it on both sides shake off the excess and slap it on a hot surface of your choice. BTW the "purists" insist on only charcoal

I do this for all roasts that we do on the rotisserie they turn out incredible. Plus stick a thermometer in it and pull it at rare. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes then carve and serve. I call it a spice rub but it is always delicious and a huge hit with my guests.

Latest posts