Indiana's Turn

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Restaurant Closed After Deer Carcass Found

Business Reopens On Probation After Two-Day Closure
October 30, 2007
GREENCASTLE, Ind. -- A Mexican restaurant in Greencastle, Ind., was closed for nearly two days after a health inspector noticed a deer carcass had been butchered on the kitchen floor, officials said.

Health inspector Darrell Brackney ordered the La Charreada restaurant closed Wednesday after checking on a tip about butchering, which he said took place as customers ate lunch in the dining area.

"We ... immediately went back to the kitchen, and there it was: a big pile of blood and raw meat and legs and everything, right there on the floor where they were cutting it up," Brackney told Indianapolis station WRTV.

The restaurant, which said the deer meat wasn't served, was cited with having a "gross unsanitary occurrence and condition." It was allowed to reopen Friday but must undergo weekly, unannounced inspections during a six-month probationary period.

The deer was roadkill that a Department of Natural Resources officer offered to restaurant employees. An employee signed for the carcass and took it to the kitchen, officials said.

Health officials said the carcass shouldn't have been butchered on the kitchen floor.
"To have the nerve to do that while the public was in there eating was just a horrible act, in my opinion," said Beth Glaze, Putnam County Health Department administrator.

The restaurant's owner, Socrates Montano, said the incident was "very embarrassing" and that he was taking steps to repair the business's reputation.

"We have fired three people for that incident," Montano said. "I'm going to be working in this restaurant from now on to make sure nothing like that will ever happen again."

Few customers were at the restaurant Monday. One customer, Peggy Arnold, was told about the deer incident after she dined there Monday.

"I won't be back," Arnold said. "I didn't have any idea. We wondered why there wasn't anybody in there today."

Nothing wrong with a little venison now and then. :lol:

At least it wasn't a Labrador Retriever or a big Tom Cat! (Chinese -Vietnamese, Restaurants, etc.)

Butchering a deer on a restaurant floor? No wonder they got shut down. They should have had that thing up on the counter, the floor is dirty! Geez!

Now who here whould not eat venison style fajitas.

It's not the big things on the floor that I can see that bother me. It's the microscopic things that I cannot see.

Latest posts