In the future please ???????

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
For those of you that post a topic that has "snakes" referenced in it can you please give a heads up on the subject ????

GMN's last post "Is this possible ?" gave me the heebie jeebies so bad that I don't know when I will be able to now go in my basement again.. :???:
and we don't even have snakes around here .... :roll:

Maybe we need a new board just for snakes and then I will never have to read about them again.. :lol2: :nod:
:tiphat:

We have a dark room for the chickens to lay in. It used to have a light switch but the electric is out there, I don't know why. I will not go in there in the dark. I have seen snakes in the rafters before. I aint reaching in those dark boxes. Those chickens can keep those eggs.

I too would be mighty thankful for that warning!!! Hopefully by next Spring I will have chickens, but now that I know snakes may be part of the picture, perhaps I'll get someone else to gather eggs!!! :(

CKC1586":2lp1emdi said:
What!!???? Snakes are attracted to chickens????? How come they don't peck em or eat em??
\

It has been my experience that the snakes will wait until the chickens are roosting and then sneak up and eat eggs or chicks. I have seen them in the daytime. I guess they slither in there and just gorge. The chickens have a fit but, being chickens, and not that smart, the seem to calm down after a while. I will not reach into a nesting box I cannot see inside of. I know that rat snakes and coach whips arent poisonous, but I don't care. They still bite and I would faint or die of shock or scream so hard my head would explode.

Lammie":1yhwx2bh said:
CKC1586":1yhwx2bh said:
What!!???? Snakes are attracted to chickens????? How come they don't peck em or eat em??
\

It has been my experience that the snakes will wait until the chickens are roosting and then sneak up and eat eggs or chicks. I have seen them in the daytime. I guess they slither in there and just gorge. The chickens have a fit but, being chickens, and not that smart, the seem to calm down after a while. I will not reach into a nesting box I cannot see inside of. I know that rat snakes and coach whips arent poisonous, but I don't care. They still bite and I would faint or die of shock or scream so hard my head would explode.
:eek: :shock: :eek:
I HATE SNAKES!!
Daughter got chickens first of June, good grief, hope we don't end up with them creepy crawlers.

Not much of a snake person myself. That picture on here awhile back of the baby with the snake still creeps me out. Now it seems that image might be replaced by one of Lammie's head exploding. :D

Some snakes love them chicken eggs. I have had chickens for years and don't reach into a nesting box that I can't see inside of.

grannysoo":e7eydkm3 said:
Some snakes love them chicken eggs. I have had chickens for years and don't reach into a nesting box that I can't see inside of.

Three times now I have almost reached into a nesting box and grabbed a snake. Twice in one afternoon. I have been through rehab now and am recovering well.

I put golf balls in the chicken nest.Snakes will always eat them first because they are smaller.Then they just lay there coiled up trying to crush the golf ball. Just pull them out of the nest and chop off their heads.
The first year I lived here I killed 10 bull snakes like that and never seen a snake since.But still have a golf ball in each nest.
Put my hand in a nest one time and a big bull snake hit the back of my hand with his head.
I dang near had to go to the house and change britches.

My trouble with the hen house now is possum's. Killed one that tore through the chicken wire,fixed the wire,and now have another.Lost 4 laying hens and a rooster.
Forgot to say I pulled them out of the nest with a hoe.

Cal

Beef08":2sqas8u0 said:
Apparently some people have never heard of chicken snakes...haha

Nope. :?

Well, geeze you got me to thinking and wondering about snakes here. I have only seen blue racers and garter snakes, had to do a search and found out we have 17 species here:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... ml#Species
But no chicken snakes.

i to have almost reached in an grabb a snake while getting eggs.an its no fun let me tell you.needless to say it was a dead snake.unless he got away fore i got back with something to kill him.

Latest posts