In-Chamber Moisture Testers

Help Support CattleToday:

DiamondSCattleCo

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had installed an in-chamber bale moisture tester, such as the Farmex BHT-1 ( http://www.farmexecorp.com/farmexelectr ... s/bht1.asp )? Did it work ok for you? Reasonably accurate? Since the weathers been odd this year, with alot of dew come close to sundown, I thought it would be nice to have an on-the-fly readout, versus having to stop and probe.

Rod

A friend of mine has one, says it works well but like anything else you are going to have wet and dry spots in some windrows, no matter how good you tedder/rake. Another point to consider: If you have a field to get up and the time to do it now, if that meter says it's a little too wet, are you going to stop? I just check mine by feel, too tight to buy technology to tell me that I'm stupid, wife does that for free.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1vvkz2ec said:
A friend of mine has one, says it works well but like anything else you are going to have wet and dry spots in some windrows, no matter how good you tedder/rake.

Oh certainly, but I'd treat the in-cab monitor the same as I do my probe. Take several readings through a bale then average them out.

cfpinz":1vvkz2ec said:
If you have a field to get up and the time to do it now, if that meter says it's a little too wet, are you going to stop?

Yep, most certainly going to stop when its too tough. With grey areas of course. If the hay is only a point or two tough, and rains moving in, I'll keep rolling. Or if there are only a few acres left. But once it climbs 5 or 6 points too tough, there is no point in baling it as its going to spoil. Its better to let it take a rain and bale it after it dries again.

Rod

We have them in three of our balers and like them real well. They just take a reading of what goes passed and the numbers may change every 4-5 seconds. We like to stay under 12% moisture. Even some of the help we get can tell when its sprinkled to much with them.

Thanks for the info, Ned. Are you using the Farmex brand? Harvest Tec has sensors as well, but its tied into a bale injection system that I really have no interest in.

Rod

The local Co-op had them on sale before haying season for $250 (or $289, something like that) Cdn, which isn't a whole big bunch more than a probe. I _believe_ regular price on them is $350, so about $150 more than a probe. It sounds like they may be worth the bucks, but I haven't tracked down many people using them. I may just bite the bullet and give one a shot.

Rod

Latest posts