Impressive Bred

Help Support CattleToday:

dixie16

Reaction score
I have the chance to buy an Impressive Bred 8 month old colt. He's registered and is buckskin colored. His dam tested negative for HYPP. The man wants $400 for him and I know if I buy from him it will be good stock. Have any of ya'll had any problems with Impressive Breds? What about that price?

Horses are cheaper than goats now a days. No bull. I was at the horse sale Thursday night. Colts from 6 to 8 months were from $35 to $70. Some with fairly good papers. I was at the goat sale today. Big 100lbs and up billy goats were bringing $100 to &165 a piece.As far as Impressive bred horses go, they are bred for show. They are built like tanks and have the prettiest heads. People just seem to shy away from them. I have seen one mare have a hypp fit. It isn't a pretty site. If you buy this colt I would have the seller pay to have the HYPP test run. I'm sure AQHA requires every colt with impressive genes to have the test. Before you can get perment papers. Check and see.

HYPP is easy to understand. If the dam/sire is negative for HYPP than the foal CANNOT inherit the defect. The colt's papers should have the HYPP N/N stamped directly on the papers from the breed association. I would check to see if the sire has any Impressive bloodlines and if so, that he also is HYPP N/N.

As to the Impressive bloodlines.......I've had good ones and bad ones, just like any other bloodline. Most of them are too bulky to be really good using horses and they tend to be a little "hot". They get frustrated easily, but for the most part are very trainable and will do anything you ask of them. I have two (one by The Clue Connection and one by Just A Pleasure) that I use in the feedlot as sorting, pen riding horses. They are as "cowy" as any Doc Bar bred horse I have ever sat on! Plus, they are pretty to look at.

The three year old mare I am training now has Impressive from her sires side, sire was of course HYPP N/N. She is very pretty to look at with a nice feminine head and is being trained as a cow horse. She picks up on new cues and tasks very easily, she started sidepassing after the second lesson. Impressive horses do sometimes get bulky because he was a halter stallion. I'd say buy the horse as long as the HYPP test comes back N/N. It's a sad day when goats are more expensive than good papered horses.

In many Impressive bred horses, Impressive is so far back and diluted, the massive bulk that he produced has been reduced to a degree that you have a very well muscled horse that can do a job.

Unless the sire has Impressive in his background, you do not need to test the foal.

Also, just because a horse has a famous horse in it's background doesn't guarantee that it is a well conformed good minded individual.

If he has a good disposition and good conformation and he suits your needs and goals, whether you buy him is your decision. Good horses are holding their value. Mediocre horses are not.

I have several Impressive bred horses. Several are smart another Zips Chocolate Chip x Impressive bred mare is not the brightest crayon in the box, but a reliable comfortable riding horse. She will get a job done and doesn't try to out think you.

Who is the sire (name) and what is the dam's name? I have an AQHA account with extra dollars and can look up a performance pedigree for you.

chippie":3qjqusgs said:
In many Impressive bred horses, Impressive is so far back and diluted, the massive bulk that he produced has been reduced to a degree that you have a very well muscled horse that can do a job.

This statment is right on the money.... depends how far back Impressive is. The important thing is to make sure the colt is HYPP/NN.

I'm under the impression the AQHA is going stop allowing Impressive bred horse from being registered. But I think it is still far enough into the future and little chance of any Impressive horses being born at the time that happens. My thought was it was the AQHA just showing they are doing something about HYPP without hurting Impressive.

As far as Impressive bred horse go, my opinion is they are a bit high strung, but again it depends how far back in the pedigree the line is. If the grandsire is Impressive the colt is only 1/4 impressive. If Impressive is 4 generations back then the colt is only 1/16.... not much influence.

For $400, If the colt is HYPP/NN and you are planning to geld him, IMO you should geld him, who cares about anything but enjoying him.

Alan

The AQHA is allowing horses with Impressive in their pedigree to be registered, they just will not register any H/H horses.

All horses with untested Impressive bred horses in their pedigrees must be tested prior registration.

What amazes me is that other registries that have Impressive bred horses such as APHA and ApHC do not require testing.

chippie":11ix820i said:
The AQHA is allowing horses with Impressive in their pedigree to be registered, they just will not register any H/H horses.

All horses with untested Impressive bred horses in their pedigrees must be tested prior registration.

What amazes me is that other registries that have Impressive bred horses such as APHA and ApHC do not require testing.

I'll research it agian, haven't for a while, been trying to get better educated on cattle. But it seems to me the terms where something like the year 2025 and no horse with Impressive closer than 2 generations.... something rediculous.

But It's been a few years, I could be all wet.... I am most of the time.

I can't remember the name of the big time horse that has the skin sloughing (sp) problem but seems like they are doing the same to him.

Alan

I think that you mean Poco Bueno and Herda and all horses that are N/H will be eliminated. Only N/N will be registered.

They are hoping that the N/H people will stop taking the risk of getting another N/H horse but it isn't working. I see N/H horses being advertised at stud frequently and personally know of a not so smart woman breeding her N/H mare :(

I am with all of you that want to stop the N/H horses from being registered in ANY breed! I had a gorgeous N/H mare by Paradise Bay that never had a symptom.....but she was bred when I bought her and her filly was N/H and had seizures all the time. We finally ended up euthanizing her just because she was unpredictable as to when she would have her fits.

I have also heard that the Skipper W's (which I am very fond of), also have been determined to have an occassional horse with symptoms similar to those of HYPP. I don't know that it has been documented or not. HYPP like symptoms also occur in some breeds of cattle.

Anytime humans play with genetics and begin breeding for type, we risk introducing new and terrible problems in our animals.

dixie16":2r5a2zkr said:
I have the chance to buy an Impressive Bred 8 month old colt. He's registered and is buckskin colored. His dam tested negative for HYPP. The man wants $400 for him and I know if I buy from him it will be good stock. Have any of ya'll had any problems with Impressive Breds? What about that price?

Never worked with Impressive - but I for sure know this person will dance when he gets his 400 bucks. I got two fair animals here that I would gladly let go for that price - just have to fight the wife and kids.

Now, if you think he is a keeper and you plan to ride him regular - good - then cut out his nuts and enjoy the ride. Otherwise - go find something already trained and good to go.

As for breeding stock? Well, you need to throw a whole bunch of pics up here AND his background. If he is not a real fine and dandy - and I do mean fine - then you are wasting your money.

I saw a real nice ranch raised and cattle ready 8 year old used in the pens here - fully capable of being roped off of and I might add he did a pretty fair job of some pen work. Quiet, big, strong and real nice conformation.

He sold for just under 200 bucks at the end of the day - and he came with a halter.

I nearly went into the bid - but I am now down to two hay burners - do not need anymore.

The ONLY thing cheap about a horse is the purchase price!

You watch your pennies.

Bez>

Thanks everybody for their posts. I will get some pictures and his pedigree on here. I don't plan on making any money with him or showing or breeding him. I'll just geld him and ride him. I may be paying too much for him but I've seen yearlings around here go a lot higher. The ban of slaughter houses hasn't affected the prices around here....yet. I've worked with cattle my whole life but not so much with horses so thanks again for everybody's post.

I have a gorgeous 16yr Impressive grandaughter HPNN that I have never bred. Beautiful palomino, built like a tank,only 14.2, and wears a 00 shoe! I'd like more ankle bone and larger foot for ranch work, but for showin off, riding down the road...wow!
By the way that penrider girl on this thread sure does know her horses! She never met mine, but described the horse to a TEE! Hats off to you lady!. If I wanted another show horse, I'd sure give that $400 for the colt you are looking at, but for ropin and riding big country for cattle, I'll stick with my old Sugar Bars race bred mare.

We have a 9 year old granddaughter of Impressive (HPNN). She's 15.3, 1150 pounds, and loves to be loved on. She can be a handful, but when she's ridden consistently she's an absolute pleasure. She's bred for a 2008 foal.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/miss+nine+of+hearts

MissNineofHearts.jpg

I too have an Impressive bred filly.I love to death! She is Impressive bred top and bottom.I purchased her from a very reliable breeder and she is N/N.
Her sire is an AQHA Champion and her dam is a red dun.She is Grulla.She is 2 years old and loves my grandchildern.She will let my 7 yr old grandson lead her arround and if she is loose in the yard she will watch over him like a little mama. I have been introducing her to saddle and bridle and she takes it like she was born with it on.She is really special!
So yes there are good Impressive breds out there.More importintly I have worked up close with Three Bars bred stock sence the 60's there,unpredicable, and will buck you off one day and work with you another day,you never knew what you were riding from one day to the next.They would also shake violenty-however they never fell down.
I have also wached Sugar bars bred stock at the track and wached them throw there jocky to the ground.You just never know.
I have seen grand get again Sugar Bars stock get down and try to kill a man.
But also there are those who wouldn't bother with anything elce and breed to concentrate the Sugar Bars blood!
It's just what you like.I like the Sugar Bars stock because I get along with them, because I treat them like an Arabian, There so smart..

Chippie you seem to know quite a bit about horses and if I ever need some advice or info tidbit I'll ask you first! Any how, I don't understand why people are breeding N/H horses to each other. That is why the AQHA is cracking down and I think it will be for the better of the breed. It's true that any time people start messing with genetics things can go awry, but sometimes a genetic mutation just happens. Lets all be responsible breeders and not breed horses carrying these genetic defects. I read an article on these diseases once and it had a story of a horse that was N/H and showed no symptoms it's whole life and then one day it had a bad fit and died. Right out of the blue. Let's use some common sense and look at the big breed picture. Let's work for the betterment of all horse breeds.

Latest posts