Mare bred I think?

Help Support CattleToday:

lukelangford

Reaction score
I've got a mare that is approx 20 years old, never been bred. She came into heat, so we put her in with the stallion. Breeding went successfully, when releasing her into the pasture, the geldings chase her around usually once or twice a day. They run the crap out of her. no usual signs of being in heat. Should i interpret this as a sign she is bred? THat's all i can come up with.

have you ever bred horses before because a maiden mare(never had a foal) and at the age of your mare 20 yrs puts her and her foal at high risk of slipping the foal and other pregnancy problems. why was she bred a maiden at her age?
i hope it all goes well for you and the mare. get her pregenancy tested, older mares do also have more trouble becomeing in foal than the younger mares.

Also, I wanted to add that if you think she is in foal you may want to keep her away from those geldings. Not good for her to be run like that - very good chance she will slip the foal in that situation.

I agree with the last two post, Why don't you do yourself and the mare a favor and spend the $ to haul her to the Vet, have her preg checked. If she still has the foal, treat her like a expectant mother, good feed and easy life (not being ran around the pasture by other horses). If she has slipped the foal, forget it and save foaling to younger or more experienced horses. Not saying 20 is too old to have a foal, it's too old to have the first foal.

JMO
Alan

I think that you should keep her in her own paddock,keep her well fed and wormed and keep a close eye on her as older mares having first foals can have complications such as slipping the foal if they are to thin or stressed or for know obvious reason.Watch for pregnancy toxemia in late pregnancy after saying all that she may well have a very succesfull pregnancy ,and I wish you well for a healthy foal.

Latest posts