I'm out

Help Support CattleToday:

Beautiful country up that way and plenty of good graze.
Truth. I grew up south of Houston and would love to move back to Texas, but married a Missouri gal before retiring from the military...so here I am. ;-) There are worse things.

My ewes and a ram are from Texas, at least. ;-)

I have always said I would rather die while I am living than live while I am dead.

Was out on the quad at first light checking the calving cows. Stopped and talked to the wife, she was playing with her bottle calf. Pitched hay into the feed bunk for the yearlings. Hauled a little hay over to feed the new cows that are still in the corral. It is 30 degrees out this morning with no wind. The sun is coming up. It is going to be a great day. Came into the house and the wife was making French toast. In a minute I will get cleaned up to go to church. Life just doesn't get any better than this.

I have always said I would rather die while I am living than live while I am dead.

Was out on the quad at first light checking the calving cows. Stopped and talked to the wife, she was playing with her bottle calf. Pitched hay into the feed bunk for the yearlings. Hauled a little hay over to feed the new cows that are still in the corral. It is 30 degrees out this morning with no wind. The sun is coming up. It is going to be a great day. Came into the house and the wife was making French toast. In a minute I will get cleaned up to go to church. Life just doesn't get any better than this.
No sir, it don't.

I'm hoping very hard for Red River County, but I'm looking at land and entertaining job options and offers in about a six county area extending W-SW from Bowie County. I think Red River County has room for land growth since it's a declining county with a low retention rate for youth.
I live in Red River County. Good place to live

Be relocated to NE Texas in June. Got a bucketful of decent job offers, trying to use my VA loan to snag a property and put a house on it. Problem is, with the land market up there I'll be pretty much capped at 35 acres or so unless I buy land with heavier timber. Both the wife and I are eligible for VA loans and veteran land loans from the state of Texas but I'm wary of extending ourselves until the first property can at least comp a decent chunk of the mortgage.
Our ranch has rotational timber management (some land for wildlife habitat—nice way of saying rocks and mountain) and I have cattle. The timber is thinned twice and then harvested. Plots at different stages keep $ coming in for taxes, insurance, etc.

Our ranch has rotational timber management (some land for wildlife habitat—nice way of saying rocks and mountain) and I have cattle. The timber is thinned twice and then harvested. Plots at different stages keep $ coming in for taxes, insurance, etc.
Hmm, I'll take that for some advice right there.

I don't even know where all this leaves a fella like me, getting out of the Army and back into ranching. I stayed in crops and horses some too while I was in. Burgeoning young family, moving to a new place, can't really figure out if this is a good or bad land market, hard to say when a 30 minute drive will change the price per acre by thousands. I kept pulling auction reports while I was in (old habit, split a herd with my grandfather for near 16 years before I joined) and I can't tell if getting into cattle is going to be an investment or a wash, I must be dumb but I swore I'd get back into them as soon as I got out. Well, I can always pay for the cattle with sheep XD

First post, howdy y'all.
Plan B, C and D helps. We are very small with 11 head. With the cattle for beef sales, we're considering pigs or goats for a shorter turn around. What an adventure it has been so far. You have to love it to continue. Welcome!!

This thread has caused a stampede out the door.

Ken
realtorsign.jpg

As they say, It's all over but the crying now.

listed tuesday evening, had 2 showings yesterday, 2 more scheduled today. I don't talk to them. That's the realtor's job. Asking price has been exceeded already.
I'm gonna miss this house. Don't look like much on the outside but it's comfortable inside.

areiel listing.jpg

Hopefully, mine is sold, depending on how well it appraises to a buyer's lender appraisal. After 3 days on market, with 4 people looking at it Have 1 offer of asking price and 2 offers over asking price on the table with one more showing scheduled late today then I'm cutting it off.
I suppose it could be said I priced it too low but there is a point where it changes from a matter of recouping your investment vs outright greed, greed being one of the deadly sins and I already have a huge bucket of sins to stand in front of the Big Man for.
I, more than anyone am well aware of how difficult it is to make this place work with cattle. It's doable but at times, rich with hardship.

We sold a commercial property two months ago that I had offered to a friend who was always complaining about his current business location and taxes. He brought up the idea of being interested and I gave him a price. He obviously wasn't serious, he dilly dallied for 5 months.

I had another guy ask me about it and told him to give me an idea of what it was worth to him. He now owns it, no sales commission, and 25% higher then what I offered it to my friend for.

Latest posts